privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, July 28, 2012

"Hot Time, Summer in the City"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_in_the_City.jpg
When it gets to be this time of year I always start humming or singing this Loving Spoonful's song, "Summer in the City".  The lyrics pretty much says it all especially in the hot, dry summer.


Summer in the City

The Lovin' Spoonful

(John Sebastian - Mark Sebastian - Steve Boone)

Hot town, summer in the city

Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty

Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead

Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

But at night it's a different world

Go out and find a girl

Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright



And babe, don't you know it's a pity

That the days can't be like the nights

In the summer, in the city

In the summer, in the city

Cool town, evening in the city

Dressing so fine and looking so pretty

Cool cat, looking for a kitty

Gonna look in every corner of the city
Till I'm wheezing like a bus stop

Running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop.


or if you want to listen to the music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTtsEihtT8


This was the # 1 song the month I met Gene one hot summer night in August, 1966.  I met him in front of my apartment.  I opened the door to take trash to the complex dumpster and there he stood, Mr. Wonderful with a head full of hair!  I asked if he was Gene.  "Yes" was the reply and I slammed the door.  I had been cleaning house and my hair was not even combed.

Gene was with our mutual friend and my roommate's boyfriend, Alan Frerick.  Gene had stopped to visit Alan who lived in the same apartment complex.  They were discussing if they should knock on the door as Alan had been trying to get Gene and I together for a few weeks.  Guess we sort of lived the lyrics that summer.

Let me make one thing clear, Gene never begged me to dance all night.  Sort of the other way around as I loved to dance.  But we did cruise Spring Valley Road in Richardson in Gene's brand spanking new 1966 Mustang.  We were cool in spite of the heat.

It is still being a hot time in this city and many others this year.  I would bet there are young men and women meeting each other through mutual friends.  Hope they find their special mate during the cool of the evenings.  There is nothing I would trade for my memories of that summer nor my Life's Love that came one August night In the Summer In The City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings