privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Funky or Funk!

Not sure if I am in a funk or feeling funky.  Let me see what the definitions are and maybe that will help me decide.

funk·y1
ˈfəNGkē/
adjective
informal
adjective: funky; comparative adjective: funkier; superlative adjective: funkiest
  1. 1.
    (of music) having or using a strong dance rhythm, in particular that of funk.
    "some excellent funky beats"
    synonyms:groovy, bluesy, jazzy, syncopated
    "Shannah liked funky music"
  2. 2.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    strongly musty.
    "cooked greens make the kitchen smell really funky"
Origin
late 18th century (in the sense ‘smelling strong or bad’): from funk2.
funk·y2
ˈfəNGkē/
adjective
BRITISHarchaicinformal
  1. frightened, panicky, or cowardly.
Funky 1.  I do not dance a lot anymore, pretty much not at all.  In my youth I could frug, bop, twist, shimmy, belly dance, stroll, pretty much any pop dance that came along.  I tend to listen to coffeehouse type music or oldies these days.  My hubby listens to music all over the spectrum.  I do not listen to music while walking as I find the need to hear the surrounding noises.  Noises such as approaching vehicles.  Yeah, not much funky music going on around this body this week.  Maybe this is the problem.






Funky 2.  Ok, I am eighteen, yes one eight, days away from 70 years of age.  That is definitely squarely in elderly territory.  I still wear shorts cause it is hot in Texas.  It is edging toward 90 degrees today.  I tend to dress less than funky.  A lot less than stylish, way below funky.  More like Nothing binding a n y w h e r e.   So unless funky means showing cellulite, varicose veins, no bra, or knee replacement scars this meaning most assuredly does not fit.

Funky 3.  Well, I shower on a regular basis and do laundry.  I do not like to wear clothing multiple times without cleaning.  Thereby avoiding smelling funky.  Just do not stand to closely if I have just returned from walking 6200 steps in one hour.  Funky would be a nice description of the air immediately surrounding me.  I no longer smoke so that does not apply.  I do have the old age propensity for an inability to contain flatulents.  So while that does apply, that still does not really describe the feeling I have.

funk1
fəNGk/
informal
noun
noun: funk; plural noun: funks; noun: blue funk; plural noun: blue funks
  1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a state of depression.
    "I sat absorbed in my own blue funk"
    synonyms:a (state of) depression, a bad mood, a low, the dumps, the doldrums, a blue funk
    "he was in a funk because his wife ran out on him"
    • BRITISH
      a state of great fear or panic.
      "are you in a blue funk about running out of things to say?"
      synonyms:a (state of) depression, a bad mood, a low, the dumps, the doldrums, a blue funk
      "he was in a funk because his wife ran out on him"
  2. 2.
    BRITISHdated
    a coward.
verb
BRITISH
verb: funk; 3rd person present: funks; past tense: funked; past participle: funked; gerund or present participle: funking
  1. 1.
    avoid (a task or thing) out of fear.
    "I could have seen him this morning but I funked it"
    synonyms:a (state of) depression, a bad mood, a low, the dumps, the doldrums, a blue funk
    "he was in a funk because his wife ran out on him"
Origin
mid 18th century (first recorded as slang at Oxford University in Oxford, England): perhaps from funk2 in the slang sense ‘tobacco smoke,’ or from obsolete Flemish fonck ‘disturbance, agitation.’

Funk 1.  This may be getting closer to the real emotions that are surrounding me.  My last mentor aunt's passing, my oldest sister's aging and missing the beauty of the colors of fall.  Not to mention the obvious political climate in the US.  Seeing a person such as Bannon being an adviser to the president elect is so like having a Himmler in Our White House.....  Deportations, walls, hate crimes.

Which brings me to

Funk 2.  Yes, it is there amid the 'giving our President Elect Trump a chance' to do something.  A deeply seated fear of the hatred that has been loosed in the halls of power of these United States.  The Timothy McVeigh's being validated to do their will with our United States and Our government.  Half of the voters are in a sort of mourning and fear.  Panic has gripped many of the folks that are not straight, white men.  Gays, trans, feminists, immigrants of all kinds whether legal or not!!!  You know, any one not a straight, white man or woman hanging on the arm of a straight, white man with a string of children behind them.

Image result for demonstrations against trumpFunk 3.  Today's devotional spoke of remaining silent when being in the presence of mourners.  As stated above a great number of our nation's population are mourners indeed.  Some are expressing the sadness and fear by joining in protests.  Others like me are members of the old guard.  The ones that know this is not necessarily the time for protests.  That makes us appear as cry babies and playing into the hands of the bullies.  The protests will not stop President Elect Trump from being inaugurated.  But the feet can be held to the fire as we have done before with Nixon, Reagan and W. Clinton.  As Suffragettes did.  As NOW did.  We may not have gotten an equal rights amendment but walls were broken down in my lifetime.  The glass ceiling has a pretty good crack in it.......  And, God willing, there is 2020.

Funk 4 and 5.  Will I be a coward and be silent out of fear of reprimands?  Will we folks from another time remain silent as the middle of the road Germans did as the Nazis took over their nation?  We must take a bit of time just for evaluation.  To get together a plan.  All the while signing every petition to request a denial of approval of men such as Bannon in our government.
Image result for celtic symbol for hope
So, for the time being, stay cool and say a prayer for the US.  A few more of these posts and I will be out of this bloody funk!

Peace Out!

Janice



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings