privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Life is being fairly calm this week.  Grandkid duty is over till mid July.  The Hubby spent Saturday and most of Sunday doing the yearly Amateur Radio Field Day.   Most years this event would occur on the weekend of our wedding anniversary or the nearest weekend.  In my younger years that could be a bone of contention.  After what will be 51 anniversaries this Saturday, I would rather see the smile on his face and hear his stories than eat a dinner together at a restaurant.

Maybe the reason for my preference is eating out is not so special anymore.  Maybe the reason is this time of year with back to back to back birthdays, Mother's Day and Father's Day there are plenty of celebrations.  But that smile on Hubby's face is to be cherished.  Because one never knows just how many more of those I will get to see.  The March Bicycle Wreck brought that tenuous thread of life back to the forefront of my mind.

This morning Hubby did run one grandson to what was to be some sort of sports camp.  Up at 5 AM because the event was on the south side of town in morning rush hour traffic.  To be certain to arrive by 8 AM, they had to leave an hour and a half earlier.  Austin may not be all that populous but folks flood the streets during drive time.  Most vehicles are one person per auto or in many cases jacked up extended cab pickups.  Cause it is Texas....  Gramps and Z the freshman arrived on time to find the place empty.  We still do not know what happened.  Oh, well.  Life keeps up hopping or Hubby at least.

I made a pair of what I intended to be pajama pants for our youngest grandson.  He would say we made the pants.  He pressed the foot feed for his learners sewing machine while I did the sewing.  The material was blue flannel with one inch round red and white Pokemon power balls all over.  Not something one would typically use for anything other than pjs.   Once finished, the flannel shorts, as Youngest Grandson called them, were instantly put on.  He ran across the street to show his buddy who had guided the material a time or two the finished product.  Youngest returned to the house with the broadest smile I have ever seen on that freckled face.

To these 'shorts' he added the black Pokemon shirt given as his 5th grade graduation gift.  And it was time to leave with his step sister to meet the rest of the family at the movies.  I sent a text to Son as to what he thought of the getup.  "Love it.  And J is over the top".  Once home he refused to remove the shorts as you know they are pajamas.  Next day the same attire went to lunch with his mom.  Back home at Son's place he began jumping on the trampoline.  Split the seam out from waist to waist and came in crying.  Devastated. 

Saturday I retrieved the shorts and brought them to my apartment and a real sewing machine.  Not sure if I could make the shorts/pjs work with that active kid, I headed to get more material to just make much bigger shorts.  While getting the material cut, I mentioned what had happened.  "Not a problem, just make a karate gusset" was the clerk's suggestion.  I had thought of additional material along the outside seams but this was so much better.  Additional online research about different ways other folks had done gussets and I was ready.

Sunday I measured and cut the gusset from the extra fabric from the shorts.  Basted in place, made adjustments and sewed in permanently.  Every other seam was resewn and the edges were over cast together.  That should kept the pants in one piece.  Since I had the extra fabric, I cut out and sewed up a shirt.  About 15 minutes worth of sewing would have the shirt finished and the machine started backlashing the thread.  The pants were picked up and I promised to call when the shirt was finished.  By the the arthritis in my upper back and neck was threatening me with a migraine should I continue working.

Monday started with the promised migraine.  Medication and rest have me feeling this afternoon like I can tackle the backlashing issue.  After all Youngest needs that shirt for the upcoming cool nights in Canada.  Oh, and I need to finish mending the sweats for Middle Grandson, too.  And the tents I made a few years back are needing alterations.  I have some material I want to make up for my trip to a wedding.  What am I doing on this computer?  I have fun stuff to make!

Ya'll all take care.  And happy sewing, crafting or sports watching, which ever is your pleasure.

Namaste,
Janice


Shirt but not the shorts/pjs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings