privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday's Child Is Full Of Woe

Wednesday's child is full of woe.  That is part of an old poem describing attributes of a person defined by the day of the week on which you were born.  The traditions of fortunetelling have been around probably as long as there has been communication.  Don't we all at times want just a brief peek into the future?  Say like when one is attempting to make a life change?  Jobs, marriage, college, moves, or maybe something as simple as grocery shopping?

What are we going to want to eat four days from now?  That depends on a lot of things.  How did Gene's INR read?  More or less vitamin K needed?  Will we need to be at a hospital with Gene's mom or in another state with my mom?  Will we work outside and want only cool, refreshing food or stay inside on a computer and be okay with a hot dish?  I mean, really, a crystal ball would be helpful at the grocery store.

Back to that poem.  The more common modern version according to my fav source, Wikipedia, goes like this:

Monday's child is fair of face.
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe.
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving.
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child that is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

Well, first couple of observations about the poem is it has a strong Christian influence with the Sabbath Day being Sunday.  Next is who the heck do you know that says bonny or blithe?  Per online dictionaries (cause I do not even want to think where the hard copies are hidden right now) bonny means attractive, very pleasant or nice, as in sum or worth.  Blithe is defined with two somewhat opposing meanings. one being without worry and the second being sort of uncaring or ignoring the results of your own actions.  Look here for the Macmillan versions.  I am absolutely certain gay had a different point of reference when this was written.  Just observing!  

So now I have decided to check what day of the week a few of the significant folks in my life were born.  I am operating with the idea that born means exit from the womb.  And there is a neat, online calender for as many years as I wish to check here.

Daddy, March, 1914, Thursday.  Far to go?  Not so much.  Stayed in one county most of his life.
Momma, September, 1918, Wednesday.  Full of woe.  For sure right now.
Margaret, August, 1936, Friday.  She does love and give more than possible at times.
Suzie, April, 1940, Sunday.  She worries but a lot less than in years past.  She is good and genuinely attractive.
Janice, December 1946, Wednesday.  Yes, I am the ultimate sad sack, always with the problems.
Arlene, December, 1954. Saturday.  Have you ever followed her around at her Hallmark job?
Gene, September, 1940, Wednesday.  I married a sad sack!
John Roger, August, 1973, Monday.  I think he is handsome!
Edna Adcock, October, 1914, Monday.  Beautiful young woman.
Brett, June, 2001, Saturday.  He once asked me to take a picture of two hard working men.  He was 4 and digging up the rocks in the backyard path.
Grant, July, 2004, Friday.  He does give really good hugs!
Jack, May, 2006, Friday.  He loves to have fun.

Please, do not feel badly if you are not on the list.  It is that I really need to get something done.  I am just escaping all my worries playing on the computer.  What day were you born?

Woe is me!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings