privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Thursday, September 18, 2014

ants

Ants

In this episode of "Little Creatures" the leading role is for the ants those wonderful little creatures that work so hard, they are always busy (as I am, maybe I am an ant?) We will look at them in admiration and awe. Of course there will be a few examples of haiku written by classic haiku poets about ants e.g. Buson, but that's later in this episode. First I will look at a wonderful saying about ants in the Holy Scripture:

[...] "Go to the ants, you sluggard, see their ways and become wise". (Proverbs 6: 6) [...]

or what to say about this verse (also from Proverbs):

[...] "(Ants) which having no chief, officer or ruler, prepares her food in the summer and gathers her provision in the harvest." (Proverbs: 30: 29) [...]

That first verse from Proverbs is one of the most known and in my (Kristjaan Panneman's) country it has become a "saying". The haiku examples Kristjaan shared can be seen here.  The following is my choice of the haiku to be the first stanza of the challenge of a 6 stanza linked renga.  Still such a novice..


ari nagasu hodo no oame to nari ni kiri

it became a rain
heavy enough
to wash the ants away

© Kuson

churning waters disruption
swirling eddies threaten life

grasp for passing tree
limbs tire in surging current
watery serpent

streaks of electricity 
flashes across flooded fields

voice of lightning shakes
startled child cries out in fear
encircling arms

morning light shines on workers
ants milking aphid flock

©  Janice Adcock


©  Janice Adcock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings