privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Stone Angel

Been watching a British mystery TV series today named "Rosemary and Thyme".  Two lady sleuths that run a garden landscaping business.  Right up my alley!

Then Netflix recommended a movie, "The Stone Angel".  An interesting movie about a woman, Hagar, at the end of her life reflecting on her life's passions and problems.
 With a 93 year old mother and a 97 year old mother in law there is a lot of that reflecting on old times.  Some days that seems all there is to talk about with either of them.  Recently Gene's mom has lost a good many of her memories at least during her waking hours.  It is difficult to watch this process and even more difficult to see the effect on her sons.  Nothing more nor less than every human on earth goes through at some point.

The determination of the character Hagar in the movie displayed characteristics of pride of family name and heritage that reminded me of my mother.  The woman who was the first female bus driver in Collin County, Texas.  That same woman that cannot walk to a car without assistance.  But still full of pride of name, family and heritage.

Toward the end of the movie a portion of the Dylan Thomas poem, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, is quoted.

Do not go gentle into that good night, 

Old age should burn and rage at close of day; 
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The night Gene went into coronary and pulmonary arrest, I screamed from a place in my soul that I never even knew existed.  It was akin to rage but filled with fear.  "No, no, not now.  It's too soon."  Over and over because I could not even imagine life without Gene.  It is a surreal experience to remember.  Gene successfully fought so hard to stay, to not go into that good night.

So this entry will end with neither quip nor smartly turned phrase.  Rather a simple nod of appreciation to all the stone angels that do not go gentle into the good night.  I love you, Gene.



  

2 comments:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite of your posts to date. I'm glad he fought too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings