privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Monday, May 26, 2014

Patriotism


This photo of Yorktown Battlefield is courtesy of TripAdvisor

In 1992 my husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Williamsburg, VA.  We toured all of Colonial Williamsburg, watched the militia marching, visited the Governor's mansion, we did Williamsburg.  Then we expanded our adventures to Jamestown and a day trip to D.C.   We visited a planters home and the museum at the Yorktown Battlefield.  In the museum was a replica of one of the ships used by Cornwall.  Around the corner was a simple little tent.  The tent was enclosed in glass for protection as it was over 200 years old.  It was George Washington's tent.

As I stood within an arm's reach of Washington's tent used throughout the Revolutionary War my heart began to pound.  My eyes spilled tears down my cheeks.  My body was covered in goosebumbs.  My body trembled.  The tent was a connection to the beginning of these United States.  Like a touchstone, the tent touched a patriotic chord that had been silent.  To think that the Father of our Nation had lived, planned and entertained within the now delicate fabric walls overwhelmed my senses.

With my husband nearby I stood in silence conjuring ghosts of General Washington, his staff, aides and others doing the business of war.  Doing the business of freedom in such an humble piece of material, ropes and stakes.  This tent seemed an unlikely housing for the fashioning of the cornerstone for this nation.  It was and is.  

Never before nor since have I been so filled with awe for the accomplishments of those early revolutionaries. Nor have I ever been so pleased and honored to be a citizen of these United States of America.  My patriotism does not run to the America love it or leave it mentality while dressed spectacularly in red, white and blue sequins.  I am more of a patriot that believes a great nation of humble beginnings needs to remain humble to remain great.  I thank God for the many blessings bestowed on these United States.  May we continue to prove worthy of the blessings and thankful to the persons willing to sacrifice safety, health and life for these United States.

For more spins on patriotism visit Gretchen and Ginny at The Spin Cycle.

Second Blooming

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings