privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, January 10, 2015

sacred arrow


Kanjuro Shibata XX, Sendai at Kai. (ca. 1990)
Hamayumi - Ceremonial bows
Sacred Arrow is another season word given as a prompt for a haiku.  An archer was used to save the first Emperor from evil spirits.  The arrow he used was declared to be a Hama Yumi, a sacred arrow.  You can see the full prompt here.  Additional information about the origins and current forms of Japanese archery can be found on the website Oko Europe.  This particular site will discuss Kyudo as the way of the bow and in practice.  It is an interesting read on using the discipline of archery to learn life lessons.

Most all cultures have talismans that may have properties to give luck, joy, love, prosperty, fertility, etc.  Even scientists look for DNA markers to resolve issues of human diseases and abnormalities.   Can an arrow be sacred?  Can an arrow in a case on the wall bring good luck?  It is not for me to judge, only to ponder.   

Inspiration:

I bow for the Buddha
holding up the Sacred Arrow of Jimmu
blessings for the New Year

© Yozakura

feathers guide flight
punctures the heart of evil
sacred arrow 
©  Janice Adcock

Thanks to Chèvrefeuille for daily prompts on 

CARPE DIEM HAIKU KAI



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings