privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, March 13, 2015

Dizzy Broad

That term was used to describe women when I was a child.  Usually a female not considered to be behaving in an seemly manner.  That term still brings to mind great famous and talented women from my childhood such a Lucille Ball & Marilyn Monroe.  Never was Beaver's mom called a dizzy broad.  The term was and is not a compliment.  I do still hear the term at times, usually in the political arena.  No one side owns the phrase.

I must admit it.  I am a dizzy broad.  I am broad because I have gained 20 pounds since the move to the apartment.  I am dizzy.  I can move and suddenly my body thinks it is on a merry go round.  Doc says it is the condition one of my coworkers had back in the 1980's, rocks in my head.  No, really.  It is a condition.  Not just someone that seems crazy.  Sure, I am crazy but this dizzy thing and the rocks are something else.  BPPV.

"BPPV. These initials stand for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. BPPV occurs when tiny calcium particles (canaliths) I call these rocks clump up in canals of the inner ear. The inner ear sends signals to the brain about head and body movements relative to gravity. It helps you keep your balance.  BPPV can occur for no known reason and may be associated with age." copied from WebMD.  Here is an informative little video.



Fine, one more thing to enjoy about getting older, rocks in my head....  Yesterday after visiting Doc, I came home determined to get this dizzy thing under control.  I watched videos until I went to sleep with the laptop still automatically flipping through youtube videos.  After Hubby returned from the track meet I was feeling too nauseated to attend I decided I can do it.  I can do one of the exercises.

The one I chose was one where you are one the floor and lean over in a tumbling position. After a feeble attempt to get on my knees a voice in my head (note, I admit I am crazy) says, "No, that will not work, dizzy broad.  You cannot put that weight on your knees.  Modify it by going from a sitting position." I performed the prescribed moves.  A few of the videos noted that Mayo Clinic recommends to maintain a level head position for 48 hours. Wear a soft whiplash type collar for a couple of days. That meant sitting in a chair to sleep.  I had to place pillows in certain locations to maintain the head position during sleep as I chose not to go buy a collar.

Today I am not doing much except pretending I have a crick in my neck.  That keeps me from moving my head in directions that would undo the work of moving the rock into the ear canal.  I am sitting pretty immobile today saying to myself, "I can do this."  Here is just one of the many videos I watched:



FYI, 48 hours is a long time to sit keeping one's head level.  Just sayin'.  And even bigger news, Grandson came in 3rd in the mile and 2nd in mile and a half.  There were about 40 in each event!  Proud Grandpa on the sidelines!  Dizzy broad grandma at home.

For posts about real women, real beauty, real heroes, pop over to The Spin Cycle.  


Thanks to The Spin Cycle Host Ginny Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings