privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Thursday, March 7, 2019

March 7, 2019

As I typed the date in I realized how I had to reeeeaaallllyyy had to concentrate to not type 1920.  Cause my brain has not gotten into this century some days.  This is how disjointed this post will be.   What brought me here to put finger tips to key board was a thought I have had rolling around in the little grey cells.  Life in this day and time.  A few weeks back I posted to facebook some old photos of my Granny Chandler.  The photo was from around 1950.  This is the one.


A friend in Missouri noted it was the most wonderful time.  I noted it was if you did not mind chiggers and out houses.  The following was her response:   "I prefer that to the crap we deal with today Jan, thieves, drugs, locks ,no trust, basic honesty is gone. Today’s time is not my time I have seen it better."
My response was something along the line that I was sorry her life was surrounded by those things.  Mine is staying busy with grandchildren and family.  I mentioned we have been known to not lock our doors even though we live in a very busy area.

Al this made me start thinking about what was the major difference between then and now.  What came to mind finally was simple.  Stuff.  And more stuff.  Stuff meaning possessions.  Toys, trinkets, and all the things we are convinced we need in this day and time.  In that house pictured above were a minimal number of possessions.  Clothing, a wringer washer, a cook stove and Hoover cabinet.  Three or four bedsteads as they were called.  A black sofa that opened like a futon to make a bed.  A radio, AM only.  Probably a clock or two.  A couple of guns cause farmers needed guns to protect livestock.  Possibly kill some rabbits or squirrels for dinner.  Or the occasional rabid animal.  There may have been one boxy black and white television.  Oh, and the player piano.  A sewing machine, a Kodak Brownie camera.  In the yard were farm implements, tractors, trailers, and livestock.
This is a picture of the back yard of that same place.  Yes, that is me and a "thunder jug".  Momma did not even have a wedding ring.

My dad acting silly.
One of the families in the community had several children.  One was my age.  Jo Ann Carroll's home was even more spare than ours.  The living room furniture was car seats.  Yes, the old bench seats out of automobiles.  The memories of those times are made great not because of the stuff we had but the people we had.  Not the wealth or lack of wealth but more the sharing and caring for one another.  Daddy was known for his mechanical ability.  A farmer would drive to get Daddy to help him get his stalled combine going.  We borrowed a cat that was known to be a good mouser to rid the house of pests.  Doors left unlocked while a family went to town for supplies would welcome pranks.  Like sheets being shorted.  Or all the canned goods on the kitchen table.  Whatever was done was the trademark of who came calling.  Once a plow was on the front porch.  I think that was the Craighead's trademark.

There were thieves, murders, cheats, drugs, and all we have now.  My BIL had some deer rifles stolen out of his house.  There were not cell phones to take a photo of the empty cabinet and immediately post for the world to know.  There was, also, not so much spare time nor money.  And not so much stuff.  No cell phones that everyone MUST to have one.  Just yesterday a retired person bragged to my husband that he had a great phone plan, four phones for $100 apiece.  We have two phones for $57 total cause that is all we need our phones to provide.  Other folks use their phones differently than we do.  Like taking photos to post to facebook.  Like photos of their burgers and fries.

Now if we talk about that old Kodak Brownie camera?  That is another story all together.  We have 8 or more forms of cameras, movie cameras, and all the accessories for the devices.  Hubby has multiple shortwave radio receivers and transmitters.  We have suitcases for overnight travel, week, and months on the road.  Cause we have the expendable income to buy them.  We would be very sad to have lost them.  We have to rent additional storage to hold all the stuff we 'need'.  But I still choose to live now and not live in the past.  To have indoor plumbing especially in cold weather.  To have stuff to put on lawns and parks to kill the chiggers.

Today's weather was a pleasant change.  We took some of my camera toys and enjoyed the sun and pleasant temperatures.  Several folks were enjoying the day, also.  May you each have a good time living in the moment!  Here are a few pictures to help you enjoy the end of the day.





6 comments:

  1. Answering this on the International Day of the Woman. Which makes me think about what I can do now that I wouldn't have been able to do in the past. Like vote, like get a job, like rent a place or buy a place. Drive a car. I can do those things independently, I don't have to ask permission of my husband or father anymore. I think that for certain groups of people the past was probably better. Mostly those are white males. I am glad things have changed. And there is still a lot of that community spirit out there, even if you have to look a bit harder for it nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really could not get the good old days thing from so many women. Really? When you could not own property without a man's signature? The friend I quoted is a woman, too. I just do not get that attitude.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    There is no doubt that there was a simplicity in less possession and sharing was - maybe - just done and not so much talked about. However, it is also a one of ageing's obstacles that nostalgia takes over for how 'it was better then'... Such thinking is what has driven the ridiculous Brexit fiasco, it is what drove the arrival of the DTs upon the American scene. A hankering for things 'as they were', rather than a clear concept of how they might be and how to achieve that. To long for what has gone before only keeps us from flourishing in the present. Certainly we can make life choices such as to minimise possession, to 'ungrid' ourselves from modern comms and connectivity. However, as you point out, society as such is what it has ever been - we just know more about it more readily due to the aforementioned connectivity. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advertising has turned toys into golden calves. We worship stuff not the love of others, Love with the capital ell.

      Delete
  3. "Mostly those are white males." I call BS on this. I've known many people of different sexes, races and creeds who longed for the good ole days. I'm with Janice on this, let the "Good ole day" stay in the past where they belong. - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why anyone would want to go back to the 1950's. Especially women when we had to wear girdles.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings