privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, August 15, 2020

August 15, 2020

My goodness.  Over a month since I have taken time to post on this blog.  I have submitted photos to some memes.  Otherwise I am not sure what I have been doing.  I did finish a collage shadow box covering the three trips we did last summer.  The last few days have been about incorporating two three additional photos into our living area.  These photos are memories of trips and loved ones.  

One photo is from around 1918 - 1920.  It is my late MIL and her younger brother.  The frame needed to be cleaned and sort of refurbished.  I took the photo from the frame.  Mom had used the folder to put behind the photo.  The photo did not fill out the frame.  I cut the embossed edges of the folder and used those along the long edges of the photo to "fill out" the frame.  Lots of cleaning to the photo and frame.  Silver rub and buff brought the frame back to a brighter and certainly cleaner. 

Before
Before
After

Picture number two had been stored in the closet with other photos since the move.  The signed print was given to us by a waitress at the Delta Hotel in Canada.  We had told her the story of Hubby's near death experience the year before.  How the doctor that pretty much saved his life encouraged us to continue to travel.  The waitress teared up and walked away.  She returned with this numbered print of Lake Louise with the artist's signature on the matting.  She felt she was supposed to give it to us as she was so touched by the account of Hubby's miracle.  The frame was reclaimed from my items from my Mother's belongings.  We had given her the frame with photos of our two year old son in it.  His photos were faded and the frame was the perfect size, so repurpose!  Rub and buff to the rescue.

From '70's avacado green

Silver rub and buff

Sorry for the blurry photos.  Too lazy to get out the good camera.  Another photo grouping was taking Hubby's treasured photo of his Uncle Trecil's mules, one that was born the same year.  Uncle had written on the back so those words were special.  There was, also, the photo of Uncle Trecil with just Jude, a red mule.  I used the same photo frame that Uncle Trecil had given to Hubby sometime in the early 1980's.  This is how the three worked together with a bit of photoshop work for the matting and bottom photos.  I cut the center out so the pair of mules were visible.


Now we can enjoy these three treasures from the comfort of our easy chairs.

Last year I ordered this photo made into a wrapped canvas.  It is the hills of Wyoming just outside of Laramie.  The area is called The Buttes.  We were heading south on 287 and sunset was approaching.

60 miles an hour on 287.

In addition during the week before I had designed and assembled a collage of photos from our three trips last year.  After assembly I had to redo three different times.  Things kept falling down.  This was my first three dimensional collage.  Anyway I finally was able to hang it and leave it in place.  Thumb tacks did the trick.  And lots of tape.  Lots of hidden tape.  But it is all in place.  As I was brightening the photo I noticed that the "congrats" has fallen.  I am not going to work on it tonight.  I really am sort of done with pictures for awhile.  


In addition I have been catching up on cleaning.  We have a small place but I just could not do the cleaning for almost three quarters a year.  Now I am being able to slowly catch up on just regular housekeeping.  Plus a bit of freshening up like a new bedspread and rearranging the living area.  Cleaning, sorting, and clearing out more unnecessary items.  Like a full size ironing board.  

 
We are staying healthy.  Next week we will be spending a few days with my sisters.  Each of us sisters have been staying closer to home than even before so we further reduce risks.  The sister time has a theme this time.  Even a not too formal invitation.


Yes, we will be dressing in costumes or at least something that represents that country!  Should be fun and have many more fun things to write about afterwards.  Photos will be forthcoming.  Husbands will be dressing, also.  Hope to put a few smiles on some stale faces.

Everyone take care out there.  Stay healthy.

Janice


4 comments:

  1. I love old photos and especially the ones that have some special meaning. I used to have a big family wall up in several places I lived. I can't wait to do it again. There wasn't just family, but also friends and colleagues.
    I use those linen wrap arounds for the more special of my photos and I love it. It's a memory at the same time as being beautiful and I completely understand why you would do it to the photo you showed. Peaceful.
    The visit with your sisters sounds great. I wish I could visit mine, but it keeps see-sawing between yellow and orange for risk levels. Quarantine is also often mentioned. So, for now we will do with just using the phone.

    Klem and enjoy your stay with your family. Don't drink too much Limoncello (although it is soooooo good).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several small and somewhat larger tubs of photos. Now do you consider photos from my childhood old as some are 70 years old? Yes, that is old! The wrapped photo is the first I have had done that way. I really am running out of wall space for any sort of photos or pictures. Hubby would prefer to have a few less but he is losing that battle. TeeHee.

      I do hope you are able to spend some time with your sister in a few months. We are not going out to eat or to any shows as we usually do this time. Covid is still very prevalent here in Texas though it is going down just a bit in the are where we live. Schools are opening within a couple of weeks so another wave of infections are expected. My nation is so hung up on individualism that I cannot say that even half the people are wearing masks.

      Take care of yourself out in the bus. Hugs and I think of you and your Mum frequently as I look at the beautiful crochet piece your mother did.

      I have never had a Limoncello so new experience ahead.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    So lovely to see you out and about in Blogville, Janice! I loved seeing your recent comment over my way too. I guessed you had simply been 'catching up on yourself', and it seems I was correct. I love what you did with the old images and frames. Brava Signora!

    I do hope your sistercation works out just fine and lots of fun had by all; gatherings have been happening around the place over here.. but C-19 has been taking hold again where they are, so do still take all precaution.

    I am just starting two weeks respite from father's cares and am back in the Hutch. sigh... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty nice to be having enough consistent energy to accomplish a few tasks and still feel good enough to do a bit of writing. It is horribly hot here day after day. Currently we are on a 15 day streak of 37.7 C to 41.1 C temperatures. Even though I have kept my flowers watered the heat has just baked the petunias. Only areas that are watered are green. Every where else is just baked. There have been over 40 days above 37.7 so far this summer. Possibly a break tomorrow of 37.2 and maybe even a bit of rain.

      I am so glad you are being able to have some time to recuperate both physically and mentally. Elder care can be more taxing than child care.

      Well, sistercation should be fun, for sure. I am certain we will need to stop half way to sister's for a loo break. Will have lots of sanitizer with me! The store where we stop has always had bathrooms clean as a home bathroom so I feel safe as anywhere stopping there.

      Take care, my friend. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings