privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, December 21, 2012

Winter Solstice 2012

While the hours of light may have been shorter by a few minutes today, my day was a productive one.  The last week or so my sewing machine has brought me pleasure.  I have made 8 child sized aprons and one for me.  The fabric is penguins, of course.  I had purchased 5 yards of the material on a whim a couple of years back.  As with any fabric person, I just needed the material with no idea of a use at the time.  Earlier in November I had the bright idea to make aprons for three young ones that occasionally come to visit.

When cousin Phyllis came for a stay she mentioned the grands and she would be making cookies.  So we whipped out 4 of the child aprons for her grandchildren last week.  A mention of the process to a nurse at Cox during a pre surgery exam resulted in making a single one for a staff person's grandchild.  Finally today I made the three for the anticipated young guests and one for me.  Such silly fun and no harm done.

For the historical context of winter solstice you can check on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice.  Living in a time with heat, lights and plentiful food makes the reading a little more meaningful.  More than one pastor has suggested that Christianity co opted the birth, death and rebirth theme from the ancients.

For me, this December 21, 2012, I am feeling a year with the hope of new beginnings.  A new knee as well as additional minor surgeries to make my 66 year old body more user friendly has given me new life.  I am thankful I live in a situation where this work can be done.  I want to be a productive member of this blue planet.  To relish the feel of material, of watching a garment develop from a flat piece of fabric.

And if you do not take a few moments on this day to visit Gretchen's blog for Dec. 17, you have missed a real treasure.  And a good belly laugh or two!  Hope you have had a rejuvenating Winter Solstice 2012!

Second Blooming

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings