privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas Preps and Celebrations

The weeks leading up to the Christmas celebration are filled with preparations.  Gift purchases, greeting cards addressed, decorations for the home and gift wrapping.  Baking is something I have
doing in years past.  I would still enjoy but for one thing, calories.  Hubby and I are both working to get several pounds lighter.  I could bake and then give away but some always finds its way into my mouth.  Homemade goodies have a way of doing that, getting in your mouth.

Saturday, Dec. 16 is my extended family's Christmas gathering.  Family from Oklahoma and around Texas will gather at my youngest sister's home for the day.  This year we have decided to have fried chicken and the fixins.  We will not be cooking ourselves but instead will purchase from Grandy's Fried Chicken.  And we will be using money from funds we sisters had contributed to an account for our mother's use.  She passed before all the funds were used.

There is special significance for using Grandy's chicken.  That was a business located across the street from Daddy's appliance repair shop.  Many a Sunday and other gatherings Daddy would load up whatever grandchild was near, crawl into his pickup and head to Mckinney to get a bucket of chicken for the meal.  What made it even better were Grandy's hot rolls.  The rolls were always fresh and yeasty good.  My son has special memories of riding on Grandaddy's white tool box in the front seat on the way to get the chicken.  My son especially loved the yeast rolls.  Daddy always bought extra just for him to have to eat on the way back to Allen.

The rest of the meal will include homemade items from the various family members.  Some dips, chips, desserts and cookies for munching before and after the main meal.  I am taking small tarts of cherry, apple and mincemeat.  The tart shape makes for easy munching without the need for forks or plates.  Hubby will be making his yummy mashed potatoes.  I am pretty sure there will be a pound or two added by the end of the day. 

After the meal Santa will pay a visit for the young children.  He will take orders and give small gifts to each child.  Those smiles will be priceless!  Time for a little more grazing and visiting.  Next up will be the Dirty Santa/Grab and steal gifting fun.  There is usually about 25 participating in this activity.  Gifts are opened by one person.  The gift can be stolen twice then is belongs to that last person.  It can be quite fun especially when a gift is really good or really bad.  Always lots of fun.

At some point during the day one of the family will read the Christmas story.  Momma had started that tradition back in the 1960's.  The day will be filled with the making of new memories.  It will also carry with it an air of Christmas past.  Grandy's chicken, hot rolls and the love between the prodigy of Arleigh and Mary.

May your weekend be blessed with love and family.

Janice

1967 Christmas Rogers gathering at my oldest sisters's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings