privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, April 8, 2022

Sister Time March 29 - April 1, 2022

Since the day in January 2015 that our mother passed away, we four sisters have worked to have what we call Sister Time.  Four Rogers girls gathered at different locations just enjoying each other.  Time together has been shared in Oklahoma, Argyle and Austin TX, and even a trip to an Oregon wedding.  We have had some real adventures together.  Sis #2 had her grandaughter make us sister shirts.  While none of us know when the end of our life may come, we do know Sis #1's days are much shorter than expected.  

We sisters had been planning a sister time for the title dates for about two weeks.  Sis #1 was told only days before our gathering that #1's cancer had become uncontrollable.  The 'devil child', as Sis #1 had named it, had spread to her bladder.  This sent a chill through our extended families.  Sis #1 asked only for daily belly laughs.  I asked what her favorite dessert was.  Without hesitation, she responded, "Momma's banana ice cream".   I set about gathering the ingredients so I could make her this dessert for our Sister Time.

Sisters all like root beer floats.  If you are unfamiliar with that concoction, it is simply vanilla ice cream with root beer poured over it.  Stir the two ingredients together and you have a great treat for a hot summer day.  The ratio of ice cream to root beer depends on your own personal preference.  Sis #1 and #2 like their floats to be heavy on ice cream.  Sis #4 and I are a bit heavier on the root beer than the ice cream.  That was dessert for our gathering on Tuesday, March 29.

On Wednesday it was time for banana ice cream preparations.  Sis #1 had Mom give her the recipe several years before she passed away.  I had attempted to make the ice cream from the memory of watching Mom mix it som many Sunday afternoons.  Mine never hit the mark.  Sis #1 recounted the recipe to me.  Ah ha.  I had not noticed two ingredients, almond flavoring in addition to the vanilla flavoring was one.  The second was a TBS. of flour.  The mixture was not cooked.  It was always simply beaten in sequence and poured into the chilled freezer canister.

Mom almost always turned over the actual freezing to Daddy.   I followed tradition and turned the mixture over to Hubby to manage the actual freezing of the ice cream.  That whole process took well over three hours.  Completion was announced by the electric motor coming to a stop.  At that time would be a couple of hours before dessert would be served.  The canister of ice cream was placed into a refrigerator freezer.  Once it was served up by the hostess, Sis #4, the comments were unanimous.  The taste was perfect.  The texture was creamier than Momma's because I used heavy cream and a small amount of whole milk.  Mom always used just the whole milk.  We decided we liked the creamy texture.  There was enough left over to have a dish of the ice cream two more times.

It took me much longer to prepare the mixture than it had ever taken my Mom in my memory.  All about repeated actions.  Knowing when the eggs were beaten to perfection by simply looking at the mixture.  Knowing when the sugar was completely melted into the eggs.  Mom had that all down to muscle memory.  I'll never make that many freezers of ice cream.   But for this one freezer full of that delicious mixture I did not care if it took a full week.  It was my oldest sister's only request for her favorite dessert.  With a heart full of love I gladly gave it to her.  Because I might never have the chance again.

Take care all you folks.  I'll have more about sister time in a few days.

Janice.

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Whoa... way too much sugar for me... I recall my father making 'ice cream' when we were kids. It was little more than evaporated milk frozen into ice cubes, but golly they were good. And we had ice cream in fizzy drinks of choice (mine was ginger beer)... we called them 'spiders'.

    ...now, to get me some bananas... YAM xx
    H=Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it already to H? It is lots of sugar but then we were raised on sweet tea! LOL. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings