privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Set


Spring, 1967, thin
Over fifty one years ago the Hubby and I went out looking for a wedding set.  The simple solitaire and plain band were our choice.  Without my presence he placed the set on lay away.  As for me, just to wait to find out when he would choose to pop the question for real.  He did propose on December 31, 1966.  Just 4 months after we had met.  He placed the ring on my finger.  I took the single ring off the night we were married and turned the set with the wedding ring closest to my heart.  I did not take the rings off until the day our son was born.  Hospital rules.


The marriage vows we took were the normal about staying together for better or worse,  richer or poorer, in sickness and health till death do we part.  We are still together.  We have experienced all three of the 'of's and in's' over the 50 years.  I might add through thick and thin.  We have been thin and times and thick and even thicker at other times.  Once Hubby purchased me a new single band because my hands were too fat to wear the set.  Hubby had to have his band resized.
Slightly thicker, 1970

Then we lost weight.  The set went back on my hand.  Hubby put his ring in the jewelry box cause it was too big.   Then we gained weight, lost, gained, lost, gained.  I think we have each lost and gained about a ton of fat.  At least.

Thinner, 1975

Thicker in 1976.

thinner, 1985

Thicker, 1995
2007, thicker but less than in 2006
Too thick for any of my clothes, 2010.
Me and a cow, 2016















Dipping in the Mediterranean Sea,
2017, real thick

As a result of the two weight management programs we are evaluating for our DiL we are now moving toward a less thick time.  We both have been discussing the need to get rings resized.  On Saturday the weather was cold enough my fingers were even smaller.  For some reason my ring finger joint has never gotten bigger like the other fingers.  I noticed the ring set was lose when I put on my gloves.  I had to push the set back up.

I went to a political campaign prep meeting.  I was there about two hours.  The weather had warmed enough that I did not feel the need for gloves.  I walked to my car, drove home and took the longer walk back to the apartment getting in those steps.  Later I prepared a simple meal.  As I was cleaning up I realized my ring set was missing.  I looker everywhere including the trash.  In the washer and dryer where I had been doing laundry.  I just knew I had lose it in the house.  After all, once before I had the ring slip off into a suitcase I was packing and did not notice it missing till we were half way to Texas.  But no luck this time.

This morning I walked my path here at the apartment twice searching the ground and sidewalk in vain.  Still no luck.  The biting wind kept me in the apartment this afternoon.  Tomorrow I will walk the path one more time and the street where the meeting was held.  Because after 51 years of the ring and then the set being on that finger, I feel naked without them.  And if not found, I do not want an attempt at a replacement.  Cause no other set will be that beautiful, simple and given with such love.

Wishing you all a great week,
Janice

************  UPDATE  **********  UPDATE  ***********  UPDATE  ***************
FOUND HIDING IN THE CORNER OF OUR UTILITY ROOM FLOOR BEHIND A DOOR.  Now safe in a ring holder awaiting resizing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings