privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, March 30, 2018

March 30, 2018

The last post was about our first outing with Cousin.  We stayed so busy that any down time was spent napping to get revived for the next adventure.  Over the next five days we did the following:

Thursday, March 22:  Shopped the entire Ikea store.

Cousin had never been to an Ikea.  We were wanting to go there for some under counter light fixtures.  Also, still checking out stuff for the DIL's laundry room project we are to get started on in April.  If you have walked and shopped an entire Ikea you know that can take quite a while.  A person works up a thirst.  So once we paid, we headed to Red Horn Coffee and Brew House.  We 'needed' to refill the gallon jug with beer.  Sampling was required.  And a cheese board for good measure.  After all it was 5 o'clock somewhere, right?  A stop by Sams for a few fresh supplies yielded a prepared meatloaf/mashed tray for a quick dinner.  The price was better than if I had purchased the items and prepared myself.  Busy day + good price = no brainer!

There were grandkid duties still to be performed.  Hubby headed to take Youngest Grandson to Soccer practice.  Son would attend the two lacrosse game for Oldest Grandson.  DIL watched Bonus Granddaughter at her track event.  Hubby would pick me up from the apt. and we would go watch the Middle Grandson run the mile at his track meet.  Cousin chose to stay home and watch basketball.  Good decision as we arrived at the stadium just as the race had finished.  Back home and finally eat the dinner + oven grilled Brussels sprouts.  It was time to stop for that day. (5100 steps for the day)

Friday, March 23:  Bicycle ride and hiking.

Cuz and Hubby loaded their bikes on the Jeep.  I loaded myself in the backseat along with picnic and hiking supplies.  Off to the Walnut Creek City Park and another day of activities.  Cuz and Hubby headed on their ride, I hiked a small area of the park and enjoyed the feeling of nature.



Trees leafing out and blooming redbud trees, the creek and some wildlife brought back the feeling of the countryside I roamed as a barefoot child.




Of course there were bluebonnets to be seen, too.  

I could not resist crossing the creek in a low area on the exposed rocks.


It was time to head back to the parking area.  My stomach was reminding me about the simple picnic items in the Jeep.  One more little side trail, one more picture and a text to Hubby and Cuz.  Only the phone is dead.  Oops, dead battery.  Hurry back to the parking lot and see Hubby and Cuz loading bikes on the Jeep with concerned looks.  I had not answered any of their texts.  Oops.  Oh, well.  Time for some food and sit down.

We each recounted the views and things we had seen.  They saw deer.  I saw squirrels and some birds.  I crossed a creek and so did they.  Cuz took a spill on her bike but was uninjured.  The over cast day and cooler (70's) temperatures made for a pleasant morning and afternoon.  We cleaned up the table and remains of the picnic and headed back to the apartment.  Showers for the bikers.  Then it neared time for the soccer game.  Off we went and returned to the pot roast meal that had been cooking all day.  And more basketball playoff games.  (step count 8278)

Saturday, March 24:  Shopping

Today was a slower start.  Cuz was good with just going back to an olive oil store we had shopped on a previous visit.  After a rather round about drive to get there we finally arrived.
Con' Olio Oils & Vinegars

We each made purchases then moved next door to the spice shop.  More purchases.  Then Hubby saw a person eating an appetizing looking taco.  And it had been quite some time since breakfast.  After finding out the source of the taco, we were off again.  Dinner out worked for me!  Then it was back to the apartment for more basketball.  Cuz is a major sports fan and her alma mater was one of the Elite Eight at this point.  I fell asleep in my easy chair for the rest of the late afternoon and evening.  Not a great hostess...  As I apologized to Cuz, she noted, "Well, you are an old person. . . and I am not far behind."

Sunday, March 25:  Two lacrosse games and more March Madness

Up and around with Hubby yet again preparing breakfast.  That is his specialty.  Breakfast and brewing coffee.  Before noon Hubby and Cuz are preparing to leave for a lacrosse game.  One last check of the calendar and see the time is 2 not 12 for the game.  A left overs lunch and chill time before the games.  

At the appointed time we all rise and begin gathering to go to the 2 o'clock lacrosse game.  Phone call.  Time was changed.  Now Middle Grandson's game is at the same time as Bonus Grandson's game, 5 PM.  And the same time as Cuz's team's playoff.  Change of plans.  Cuz and Hubby stay home and watch basketball.  I will go to support Bonus Grandson while Son goes to Middle's game.  Life is interesting with 5 grandkids participating in spring sports.  Oh, well.  Some time for Cuz to walk across the street to Kohl's for some shopping.  Hubby makes another fresh fruit and vegetable run to Sam's.  

I left for the 45 minute drive to the Bonus Grandson's game.  BG plays some.  Team loses and we cheer him on regardless.  It is now almost 7:30 when I am on my way back home.  Son calls and invited to dinner.  I say call his dad.  Hubby calls me back and says he and Cuz snacked while I was sitting on bleachers.  They are not hungry.  Had I heard that Cuz's team won.  Yes, in overtime.  Exciting.  I am going to eat with Son.  By the time I get home it is 9:30 PM.  Monday's plans are discussed.  Hubby and Cuz will go on another bike ride.  I will say home and catch up on laundry.  Cuz is leaving on Wednesday.  After bike ride we will go to the local Flix Brewhouse for dinner and a movie.  Tuesday will be potter painting that I have been saving for Cuz's visit.  Off to bed for everyone.

Monday, March 26  Biking, movie and dinner

Hubby and Cuz are off and biking by 10 AM.  I decide to clean the apartment as 3 people in 800 sq. ft. do tend to leave a bit of a trail.  Hubby had his tracking device on so I could see their progress.  When I checked their location I thought I had not expected them to ride that far or in that direction!  I go to the utility room to transfer a load to the dryer and start the last load in the washer.  My cell rings and it is Cuz calling.  That's strange.  I cannot get my phone to answer.  I call her.  Now her cell is busy.  I call Hubby.  Cannot hear him.  

More calls and finally get Cuz.  Hubby has fallen during the ride.  His leg is swelling badly.  Cuz who is a health professional does not think it is broken.  They are at urgent care but he cannot bend his leg to get back in the Jeep.  I need to transfer him to the hospital ER.  OK.  I am still in pj's and sweaty from cleaning.  Quick shower, dress, and pack for long hours in an ER.

Hubby had fallen around noon.  The long distance bike ride was actually his drive to the urgent care facility, by passing the hospital ER.  On the trip to ER I call Son.  Apprise him of details.  He will be on his way to hospital ASAP.  After the usual admit time to an ER an xray is quickly made of the leg.  Thank goodness, nothing is broken.  Son arrives.

Hubby has been on blood thinners since 2012 following a second pulmonary embolism.  The ER doctor determined the swelling is excessive blood loss due to the trauma to his leg when he fell.  While his sun glasses poked the edge of his head when his head hit as he turned off his leg, the helmet had done its job.  Still the upper leg was getting tighter by the minutes.  We asked for my orthopedist instead of the hospital orthopedist.  You know, a known port in a storm.  
about 20 hours post surgery
By 7:10 PM Hubby was being wheeled into an operating room.  The left thigh is lanced and a drain tube is put in place.  We have seen drain tubes for this purpose before in 2007 after his lung ruptured and hemorrhaged all day long.  This is a very unsettling feeling for Son and I.  But good Dr. V assures us all is well following the surgery.  Hubby would stay in the hospital a couple of days and be dismissed with some physical therapy followup.  Relief.


Cuz was dealing with a Jeep problem until just before the surgery when she arrived at the hospital.  I will share that story tomorrow.  At some point while she and I were talking during one of our many conversations that day while she dealt with the stupid Jeep, she said, "Guess the movie and dinner are off, right?"  We both laughed.  I mean laughter is the best medicine after all.

Ready to leave the hospital on Wed.  Thurs. afternoon.  What day is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings