privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Friends and Acquaintances

 Over the past few years since our move to Texas I have chosen to spend my time following grandkids to various activities.  I almost rejoined my sorority but my mother kept getting ill or needing help.  Or Grand kids were in some sort of activity. So I did not rejoin my sorority.  In 2019 my friend put my name in for an opportunity to join PEO.  My voice loss and impending surgery put that on hold.  Then Covid-19 so I just gave up.  Recently with the vaccines we feel more at ease being in public.  

Me circa 1949 with 'Indoor plumbing'

This morning Hubby and I were invited to breakfast by one of Hubby's ham radio buds and his wife.  This was only the second time I had visited with Marietta.  Such a pleasant lady that shared a farm life similar to mine.  Fathers that farmed on shares with the land owners.  No indoor plumbing till our tween and teen years was another shared experience.  

In speaking of the area in Kentucky, where she lived as a child, she mentioned there were race horse farms.  Some of the folks on those farms she said were really just plain folks though quite wealthy.  Others not so kind.  One of the folks was a very close friends.  They owned the farm where Secretariat was stabled after retired to sire. Claiborne Farm was the name of that stable.  Those two items really perked up my ears.

My Sister # 4 worked for a few years as a assistant to an older businessman in Dallas.  That businessman shared office suites with another well known businessman, Buddy Fogelson.  Mr. Fogelson many business ventures included thoroughbred horse breeding and racing.  His wife would stop by the office and always stopped by to see her fellow ginger, my sister.


You may have heard of Mrs. Buddy Fogelson under another name, Greer Garson.  Yes, the British actress. Mrs. Fogelson found out my sister was planning a family trip to Kentucky. Mrs. Fogelson arranged for my sister to be able to visit the farm where some of their thoroughbreds were being stabled, Claiborne Farm.

My Mom and Dad were on that trip so they along with Sister #4 and her hubby saw Secretariat.  Of course they, also, visited some of the Fogelson horses, too.  And by a few degrees of connection, Marietta and I had one more thing in common.

How pleasant to learn how small a world can be.  Two kids from different states finding common life experiences.  Sort of like gingers connecting just because of hair color.  BTW, that cute little boy standing next to Sister #4 on her wedding day, my one and only baby.  

That's about all the news from Central Texas.  It has stopped raining and now getting hot as blue blazes.  Y'all all stay safe out there.  Get your jabs and have lunch with some old and new friends.

Peace,

Janice



2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Well, don't ya just love it, that "six degrees"?!! GG was a lovely actress and had initials to suit her third husband's interests... So glad you are getting some social interaction again - and that too of such value! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to be out socially with someone outside the family. Love the family but they do not need to be the only ones we visit with all the time. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings