privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Measuring Time

My Hubby is a good friend to folks.  He has a guy he has known for several decades.  They both worked for Litton.  Larry, like Hubby, is an amateur radio (ham) operator.  Those two have a schedule to talk via Skype every Friday morning.  I awoke before Hubby this Friday.  It was slightly past the scheduled time for him to check in with Larry.  Being the good wife I shook him until he awoke.  He looked me as if I were from another planet.  "It's Thursday, not Friday", he said in a bleary, barely conscience manner.  Oops!  Sorry.  Back to sleep with you!

That is how it goes some days.  Retirement with no real commitments frequently leaves me to seek a calendar.  Or the cell phone to confirm the day of the week.  Fourteen years + a bit I have been retired.  Hubby has been retired almost 19 years.  This week I realized we have lived in this apartment longer than we did in the house we had built back in 1969.



Hubby standing by the future fireplace.


We moved into that house Labor Day weekend, 1969.  As there was more room in our home than Mom's we started hosting Christmas gathering of the Rogers' bunch.  That fireplace chimney never did draw the smoke out of the house unless the fire was roaring!



Hubby and Son, February, 1975

We left that home in Collinwood Acres, McKinney, TX, in the fall of 1975. 

A view of the back of our Aurora house.

Moved to Aurora, Missouri and remained in that home until February, 1993.  That fireplace was a bit iffy, too.  Did not draw well and water sometimes came down the flu.

Moving day, October, 2013

We moved closer to our work and remained in that home until October 31, 2013.  That fireplace was a real nightmare.  Constant water leaks from day one.  There was a warranty but Hubby said it would not be nice to complain.  It would be okay.  We had it recapped, retucked and sealed.  Last we heard, it had leaked on the now owners.  Ugh.

And now we live in an apartment


These particular apartments do not have fireplaces.  We are just as happy to not have that issue.

Measuring time at our ages becomes more of a look into the past often than just the day to day of things.  Sure, tomorrow we will be meeting Son and his family along with Barlow's family for a bit of Father's Day celebrations.  We know to meet around 3:45 at the theater.  Dinner at the Roaring Fork at 6:45.  As our fathers died in 2004 and 2005 each before the respective year's Father's Day it has been quite some time to celebrate that day with even a call to them.  

On the Father's Day weekend may any who read this bit of a post have to opportunity to hug their day either in person of by phone.  If that is no longer possible, as with us, remember a special time with them and send the joy out to the universe.

Peace,
Janice





9 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Well, as you know I fall into the 'air hug' category now... and I have indeed honoured father in particular on today's post at Wild YAM bloggy. He loved being the centre of attention so always enjoyed this day and the phone calls - and chocolate... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air hugs for certain. Without them we would not be. Thought of you often yesterday as this is your first year without your dad on this day. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. The last time I celebrated Father's Day was a long time ago. He is still alive and well fortunately, but we have never really felt the need for these days and that includes my parents. Mind you, my Dad celebrates his birthday around the same time, so he does get plenty of attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the States being so consumer oriented every little ocassion seems to call for gifts and celebrations. There is teachers day, bosses day, secretary day, grandparents day, and the list goes on and on ad nausea. Well, at least groundhog does not require gifts nor cards. Ha! Hugs to you and your folks.

      Delete
  3. Hi Janice
    I lost my Father when I was only 18. I've missed him all my life but I have many god memoires of him and the times we shared. He loved to go fishing and I often went with him and listened to all his stories about his childhood.
    We have a fireplace but it is a gas fireplace so easy to use as it turns on and off with a switch. It does heat up the living room in winter when its on--I basically only use it when it is really cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even thought there were issues, we did enjoy those fireplaces and the crackling fires.

      My dad lived 6 weeks short of 90 years of age. Lots of laughter through the years with him.

      Delete
  4. Yes those fireplaces always are brilliant when crackling and working well! We have 3 old chimneys in our Aussie house - I'm sure there are lots of birds nests up there! I do like our gas look alike fire! We said a Happy Fathers Day to my Dad in the UK again this year - sigh...
    Have a lovely Wednesday (just in case you needed to know haha!)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Hope things open up safely for all soon. Janice x

      Delete
  5. Dear Janice
    I heartily thank you for visiting my Blog and for leaving such lovely words as a comment.
    Sending hugs across the many miles
    Daniela at ~ My little old world ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings