privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, June 14, 2020

June 14, 2020

Up early for me this morning, 7 AM.  I was having a dream where I was back working for Litton/Northrup Grumman.  I suppose that is a natural thing since I worked for that company for 20 + years.  Most of the time was spent in the area where phototools were made.  The original area was named 'Camera'.  The name derived from the enormous camera used to reduce PCB artworks.  The camera was mounted on worm screws to move to precise locations to achieve the correct distance from the copy board.  The copy board was mounted vertically and was about 2 meters by 2 meters.  The entire setup occupied approximately 5 m wide x 6 m long x 3 m high.  A very large camera indeed.
source:   

Later the area would change names and areas occupied.  The final evolution was CAD-CAM.  All computerized with no photos, only digital data for everything from the pcb layout to drill information to electrical testing information.  Even the prints and specifications came as digital data.  It was fun watching the maturing process for the backbone of the digital age.  First were the pnp and npn transistors my mother assembled in the late 1950's for Texas Instruments. 
Texas Instruments - Transistor History
One like Mom built. 

Next came the IC chips I worked in the image and metal depositing area at Texas Instruments.  The size I worked with were about the size of a half dollar.  The smallest one below is 2 inches.

Silicon wafers with uncut integrated circuits (ICs). The diameter is 2, 4, 6, and 8 inches (from left to right).
Silicon wafers with uncut integrated circuits (ICs). The diameter is 2, 4, 6, and 8 inches (from left to right).
Source: Wikipedia

The final part in which I was involved were the big as a table top backplanes that we built at Litton.  We built much smaller boards, too, but the backplanes were the bread and butter for our division.
Backplane VME64x J1/J0/J2 | Backplanes
http://www.wiener-d.com/sc/parts-accessories/backplanes/backplane-vme64x.html

There were stops at Collins Radio, a finance company, a gas regulator company, my husband's television repair shop and years of baby sitting at home.  But back to my dream about Litton.  I was working to get the clean room even cleaner.  Then I dreamed I was looking for a restroom  And that is what finally caused me to awake, the morning potty call!  As long as I was up might just as well grab a cup of joe and enjoy the early morning quiet on the patio.  And that is exactly what I did leaving the clean room worries to the younger generations!


May your upcoming week be filled with flowers and sunshine!

Stay safe and healthy,

Janice

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    That was very interesting my friend - seems we both like the tech side of life! I am from the old-school computer life when it actually involved switching switches and tapes and stuff... now it's all 'ether-eal'!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes those were the days. Reels and Reels of tapes with the data stored in document control. And a captain crunch code to find them. Tech has changed. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. I have been dreaming a lot of past workplaces as well lately. Not always in a nice way either as I have had some disturbing ones early in the morning. I can't remember them though, I just know they weren't nice.
    Hope yours are filled with the good things. Have a good week.
    Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all my work dreams are good ones. Maybe it was because our area was expected to solve problems before production began. I do not always remember my dreams, either, but I did this one. Hugs.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings