privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Thursday, June 25, 2020

June 25, 2020

The monster looking caterpillar is now a chrysalis.   Yesterday I had finally located the monster 'resting' on a metal foot scraper near the rue plant.  Today when I checked it was changing stages.  Still sort of intimidating looking I think.  Will continue documenting the changes as I can.  More thunderstorms coming tomorrow so may not be able to get a good photo without getting wet.  I would melt I am certain as I am made of sugar you know.




There is another caterpillar munching on the rue and growing.  It is about .5 ", 1.25 cm long right now.  It had doubled in size since Tuesday.  We may get to watch two giant swallowtails go through metamorphosis. 




I spilled some of the bird food while refilling the feeder.  Since we have several 'ground feeders' I decided to just sweep the spilled grains onto the gravel walk.  Hubby looked out the patio door later and found a bit different creature feasting on the grains.


I have seen grey squirrels.  I have seen brown squirrels.  I have seen black squirrels.  But never have I seen this color combination.  Hubby kept saying, "It's head and neck are black!"  I handed him my camera and he took the photos.  He was correct in his observation!  New to both of us.
 


Earlier in the day Lucy and I were just sitting on the patio soaking up the heat.  A bunny came to visit but I did not have my camera at hand.  This photo was from a couple of days ago on the other side of Building 1.  So even living in an high traffic area we do have small wildlife.  


The street at the end of our building has agave plants in the median.  This one is blooming.  The rose bushes at the base are about a meter high to help you see how tall the blossoms grow.

 

I am still working on reading The Great Influenza.  It has lots of big words and no photos.  Considering the subject matter I prefer no photos.  It is rather interesting how the virus came in three waves.  It is sad the number of populations that were almost wiped off the face of the earth.  Eskimo and Native American communities were hit terribly hard.  Some Eskimo villages had no survivors.  Infants and young children having starved or frozen to death after all the adults died.
  

That is about all that is going on here at 2601.  Lucy is doing more sleeping than leaping.  Hubby is hamming it up on his radios.  I read, take a few photos and write a bit.  We will be staying in even more as the governor is halting further reopening.  He has, also, requested that folks stay home and stay safe.  Tomorrow I will do 3 curbside pickups.  Then is all goes well finish a few more masks as that is becoming a bit more of a mandate for myself.  

Y'all all stay safe and healthy.

Janice

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Your plans to keep yourself busy are good ones... and that squirrel also has white spots among the grey - one is tempted to think it is some sort of hybrid. Might be worth contacting your local wildlife experts with that photo - it is quite the looker!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered about doing just that. I had wondered about the hybrid thing, too. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. How lovely to see so many different creatures. I am seeing how many bugs and such live in our garden and that is quite the number as well. Now the butterflies start as well (ordinary white), but no caterpillars. I wonder where they live...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poost thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings