privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Hay Bales and Fall

Daddy told a story about baling hay in Honey Creek bottom fields.  Bottomlands were areas that would frequently flood during the wet parts of the year.  The soil was rich and produced bumper crops of hay for feeding livestock through the winter months.  Hay harvest depends on the type of grass crop as well as weather conditions.

My two older sisters had to work in the fields.  Sis #1 remembers parking the tractor when she was 5.  Sis #2 fell from the tractor and was almost run over by the stalk cutter pulled by the tractor.  A pure miracle she was not horribly injured by the cutting blades.  Both sisters hoed fields, bucked hay, drove tractors, whatever was needed to keep the fields and crops growing.


The year our family went on vacation to Yellowstone National Park my sisters wanted to go to the lake with friends.  Daddy was a hard taskmaster.  He said no to the lake visit.  In fact, Daddy made the girls, 14 and 10 years old, hoe the field by the main road to the lake.  They had to see all the cars go by filled with friends going to the lake.  Daddy hoed, too.  Decades later Sis #1 and Sis #2 gave Daddy a bill with interest added for the July 4th day's labor.  It was a running joke for years.


Back to the hay baling tale from Daddy.  During the late 1940s and 1950s hay bales were rectangular bales. Bales were between 40 and 75 pounds (2.8 - 5.4 stones) in weight.  That is a heavy load to toss to about shoulder height!  The worker would use a hay hook to grab the bale by plunging the point of the hook into the hay bale.  Once Dad missed the hay bale and plunged the hook under his knee cap.  He missed a few days of hauling hay.

Oh, my.  I continue to digress.  Daddy's story was about the farmer who worked the bottomland.  The bottomland grew other things besides the hay.  Snakes.  Not just the good snakes but copperheads and cottonmouth.  Both snakes are poisonous.  Daddy said it was not unusual for copperheads to be hanging out of the bales.  The snakes had been picked with the hay/straw and were embedded in the bale.  The snakes would attempt to strike as the workers came near the bale to buck the hay onto the trailers.   There may have been a gun or two to dispatch the pit vipers.  Daddy never said for sure but it is Texas.  Guns likely involved.

Any of you folks planning on bucking hay, please, watch out for the snakes.

Peace,

Janice

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Childhood summers were spent on grandad's hill farm either driving the tractor (once we were 10 we got to do that) or standin behind the baler making sure the string remained strung. The big lads hauled the bales into stacks - including use of such a hook. No snakes to worry about... but hay rash was definitely a thing!!!

    Lovely post of your reminiscence - and prompt for my own memories! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had to work in the fields as the folks quit farming by the time I was 9 or 10. We remained living in the same house even though they were no longer farming the land. Hubby helped with his folks and uncles during hay season. He was terribly allergic to the hay dust but not excuses for him. I do remember when Daddy hooked his knee instead of the hay bale. Glad I brought back a few memories for you. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. I wasn't planning on baling hay anytime soon, but thanks for the heads-up. Mind you, the most dangerous creature coming out of the hay here would probably be a mouse of some description.
    I do remember the smell of drying hay though. There were several hay-driers throughout the area my paternal grandparents lived and it always smelled like crisps. I never had to work on my grandparents' farm. By the time I was old enough, most of it had been sold anyway.

    Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son would haul hay during the summers at times to earn some spending money. As I said, I never had to do any of the farming. And very glad I did not! Enjoying reading about your fun/work of settling into your new home. Klem

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings