privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Saturdays

Working folks in this part of the world look forward to Friday.  I enjoyed Saturdays, especially after I married.  As newlyweds, we often spent Saturday afternoons shopping.   After all, those were our gathering years.  Until we were married a year, we rented furnished apartments.  At the end of the first year, we moved into an unfurnished apartment.  We purchased a sofa, two chairs, and a footstool at Haverty's Furniture in Richardson, Texas.  Around the same time frame, we purchased a mattress and box spring from Johnson Furniture in McKinney, Texas.  That first anniversary weekend we purchased a dining set from Levitz Furniture in Dallas. We picked a bedroom suite from Harrington's in Plano, Texas.  After waiting for 3 months and still, nothing had arrived the order was canceled.  

Grandson #1 on table, 2007

Back in those days, there were newspapers filled with ads on the weekends.  We went to a favorite little store, Weir's, in Highland Park, Texas.  And there was the exact bedroom I wanted.  Hubby liked it, too.  Knowing the Johnson's carried the same brand we returned to that store.  Within a week we had the bedroom suite as well as the coffee and end tables to complete our little apartment home.  Except we still needed the accessories like lamps, pictures, and the bric-a-brac that most hubbies hate.  

The sofa, chairs, many of the original pictures are long since gone.  We do continue to use the coffee and end tables purchased 53 years ago.  Still have one of the original lamps purchased during the gathering years.  The dresser and armoire of the first bedroom suite still hold socks, undies, seasonal wear, and pj's as they have for the past 53 years.  Not the same socks, undies, seasonal wear, or pj's but what fits now.  And every time I dust and polish the pieces I enjoy them as much as the first time I did.   

circa 2006
Eventually, we quit shopping on Saturdays.  Work schedules had us on different shifts, even working on Saturdays.  Then came our son and the activities as he grew into a young college student.  Oh, the days of walking next to the band as it marched in all the local parades in the fall and again at Christmas.  While Hubby worked the weekend shift, I used the time to build our backyard garden.  With retirement came a realization, every day is like a Saturday.  

Wishing you folks a lot of good Saturdays and you live your life!

Peace and Love,

Janice

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Or, as the saying goes, a month of Sundays!!! What fab memories and this is one of the beauties of furniture- the history it absorbs and how it can be admired. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to tell a story. I can't imagine what real antiques have for stories. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. I got my furniture over several years. My bed being the first big piece I got. The wardrobes have gone, but the bed only needed new mattresses.

    During my recent moves I kept most of my stuff, so fortunately only needed a few things. I still am looking for a dining table and chairs though.

    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have pieces of furniture that we bought in the first few years of our marriage. When my husband retired I told him that every day would be Saturday! It seems like we are busier than ever as we help watch grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The service costs PS1 per hour, but there is no maximum cost. You can leave your luggage at Luggage Hero locations, which are all connected with King's Cross station and offer free cancellations. Browse this site for mre info about stasher.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings