privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, May 3, 2015

end of the month

Carpe Diem #719, End of the month


We are on the trail with Basho and today we are following him to Ise (wellknown for it's Shrine) were he visited a disciple of him named Matsubaya according to the preface of this haiku.

Matsubaya was in Ise, so we went in search of news of him, and stayed here for ten days. After dark, I visited the Outer Shrine of Ise. The first gate was faintly visiblea against the light sky.
Sacred lanterns were everywhere. The pine wind from the mountain pierced me, and my heart was deeply moved.


end of the month
no moon hugging an ancient cedar
in the storm

© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)

I also found a wonderful translation of this haiku by an anonymous poet:

moonless night . . .
a powerful wind embraces
the ancient cedars
 


© Basho (Tr. ?)


I bow my head
in worship of the holy sunrise
at Ise Shrine

© Chèvrefeuille


shrine of nature

engulf the soul with beauty
the ancient cedar

©  Janice Adcock
Thanks to Chèvrefeuille for daily prompts on 

CARPE DIEM HAIKU KAI


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings