privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, October 4, 2013

Momma's Table

Momma dressed to the nines, 1951, Neeley place.
My Mom has always appreciated nice things.  Of course the term 'nice things' meant a different level of nice to this dirt farmer's daughter.  A child in the Great Depression and a bride at 15 (is that even legal) to another dirt farmer's son puts a different set of weights on the scale of nice.  Like we all, dang that is a nice sounding Southern expression meaning the entire group/unit/family, were thrilled in 1957 to get running water to the kitchen sink!  A hot water heater meant no more heating water in kettles for our baths in the # 3 wash tub.  Later we were some of the most fortunate folks when my BIL's folks put in indoor plumbing.  They gave us a full sized galvanized bath tub!  Daddy bathed with his legs inside the tub for the first time ever in his own home.  You get the idea now, I am sure.

The first table I remember in my Mom's home was the white kitchen table and four matching chairs.  There was a little red accent strip on the routed feature at the foot of the table and chair legs.  Never really saw the top of the table without an oil cloth table cover on it.  The table, also, doubled as work space.  Many farm homes had no kitchen cabinets to speak of, just a Hoosier style free standing unit.  The kitchen table, therefore, had to be used as a work space.


Aunt Billie in curlers with Momma's back as she works on Christmas morning
breakfast at the white kitchen table, Farnsworth place

The next table I remember in my Momma's home was the dining table.  This 'grand' table was purchased when we moved into the larger Farnsworth's place.  This table was never used as a work space.  It was the dining room table, even though the actual dining room was sometimes the north west room and sometimes the fireplace room.  Mom told my sister recently that as farm folk, redecorating meant just rearranging what you had.  Guess that explains my memories of rooms having 'floating identities', bedroom one year, dining room the next or let's try a bed in the living room.


Dining table decked for Christmas.  In the northwest, Farnsworth place.
In 1961 Momma and Daddy purchased their one and only home in Allen, TX.  It was a very modest home by current McMansion standards, only around 1100 sq. ft.  It had lots of indoor plumbing:  a double sink in the kitchen with that spray thing, washer and dryer connections in a utility room off the garage and Thank you, Jesus, 2 toilets! ! !  The house was all brick with hardwood floors and a double garage.  Talk about moving on up to a deluxe place, friends, we were walking in tall cotton! 

And a new table.  Solid maple.  Drop leaf.  Matching captains and mate chairs.  Used but none the less Mom's pride and joy.  The white table and dining table disappeared but the four white chairs remained along the garage wall for use when company came.  And for the record we seldom saw the top of that table as old habits die hard. 

My Dad in my Sissy's wig at the maple table, Allen, TX.

My Dad and my Son at same table, 1975.

Table at Christmas time, mid 1980's.


My niece using the table as a work space, late 1980's
Today I will call to check on the status of the maple drop leaf table.  It is being refinished as the oil cloth and blanket pad did not completely protect the finish.  That table will reappear in our new loft apartment as our dining table.  Cause you see, every thing old is new again.

For more new again stories, please, hitch up your wagon and head on over to The Spin Cycle.

Second Blooming






Momma and her table, circa early 1970's.


5 comments:

  1. My mom has the ice box that was in the home she grew up in. I really want it when she passes. We also have the high chair that my grandfather made and sat his nine kids, my self and my brother. It has lasted and I think my son sat in it at Grandma's house a time or two. Love things that were built to last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janice, all of your stories and pictures make me SO HOMESICK! All of the table pictures! It's just so Texan! "Oh, the table looks so pretty!" Every holiday, a shot of the table. I find myself still doing it! All the good china. And I adore that you're getting Momma's table fixed up!

    Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad still has the dining room table he grew up with. It's a very solid, beautiful table! He also grew up without running water. They had cistern water to wash in (Okay, technically the pump in the kitchen was running water) but they had to walk up the hill to Grandma's to get drinking water from the well. Such great memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny, my older sister( I love saying older to her ) has the table our paternal grandparents started housekeeping with around 1912 or 1913. It is a round oak table. My husbands family had lived on the same farm here in Missouri for 118 years when the two bachelor uncles pass on the same day in the family farm house. So many heirlooms from that hard life in the Adcock Hills as the area was called around the farm. Gretchen, I take pictures of my table, too. And I am trying to figure out where I will put the Little Golden Books my Aunt Opal brought me each time she came home to the farm from her job in OMG downtown Dallas at the phone company, circa 1947-1953. The loft apt may need shelves to the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story about a table! And what wonderful photos!

    I have my parents' first kitchen table in my condo. The chairs have been replaced several times, but that kitchen table is 48 years old and going strong!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings