privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, June 5, 2015

Foot washing

On The Trail With Basho Encore 3, washing my feet


Sam Rayburn, known as Mr. Sam to many, was the Speaker of the House of Representatives for 17 years.  That was the longest tenure in US history.  He died in 1961.  The front page of the Dallas Morning News showed the front row of mourners.  There sat the sitting president, two past presidents and a future president.  Almost all the members of the House attended the funeral.  Mr. Sam was praised by leaders worldwide.  He was buried in the cemetery in the town of 7400 people.

Mom often recounted in her later years meeting Mr. Sam.  She was with her Daddy attending a political rally in a nearby McKinney.  Mr. Sam greeted Granddaddy by his given name, Marvin.  Then Mr. Sam commented on the pretty little girl.  Last, after a bit more chatting, he asked if Granddaddy was raising Mom to be a Democrat.  Of course was the response. Mom sometimes ended the story with, "You know, Mr. Sam was a foot washin' Baptist." ...

towel in hand
toes test the waters
for a friend

©  Janice Adcock

Thanks to Chèvrefeuille for daily prompts on 

CARPE DIEM HAIKU KAI





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings