privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, July 22, 2022

Birthdays and Such

Grandson #3 turned 18 on Wednesday.  Son, DIL, Gson # 2, #3, #4, Hubby, and I gathered at Pluckers for the celebration.  Chicken wings with various sauces are the main focus on the menu. DIL and I opted for a salad apiece.  They turned out to be huge.  We brought the salad leftovers home and they were enough for dinner.  

Pluckers have a special song for birthday people.  The birthday person is asked to put pointed cups in their mouth.  That is supposed to look like a chicken's beak.  A large menu is held in each hand.  As the song is sung the birthday person is to flap their arms like a chicken.  It is a sight to behold.  

Mom and Daddy renew their vows at their 60th-anniversary party.
Thursday was my folks' wedding anniversary.  Eighty-eight years since they drove into town and the Baptist preacher said the words that united them.  The preacher's wife was the only witness.  

For Mom and Dad's 60th anniversary we sisters decided it would be fun to surprise them with a ceremony to renew their vows.  Mom's ring was worn through so Daddy planned to give her a net set.  Well, we girls convinced him to do it.

We made Mom a veil and bouquet.  Mom's brother, Uncle Clay, walked her down the aisle.  Clay carried a shotgun so it could be a shotgun wedding.  BIL #2 was a pastor, so he performed the ceremony.  Mom had always regretted not getting to have family around for her and Daddy's wedding.  Mom finally had her wedding.

Mom and Daddy lacked 4 months to make it to their 70th anniversary.  That was because Daddy passed away. Someone once asked Mom how they managed to stay married so long.  "Pretty simple, divorce was never an option, and killing him would have landed me in jail!"

Earlier this week Hubby had his 6-month doctor visit.  The doctor told Hubby that his A1C was way too high.  The doctor said no more meds to attempt to control the problem.  A change in diet and more walking exercise for Hubby was the prescription!  That means a lot fewer sweets, white potatoes, chips, etc.  Change is on the way.  Maybe I'll even lose a few pounds, also. 

Now it is Friday.  Usually, Hubby makes French toast for French toast Friday.  Not today!  The change starts now.  That is all that is going on in the little apartment home in Central Texas.  Hope you are staying comfortable and safe in this extreme heat.

Janice

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Anniversaries of all types are there for exactly this reason - to remember, reminisce and roll on the floor laughing (or cringing) at the memories! Sage advice from your mum! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had lots of laughs through the years. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. I love the story about the wedding renewal for your parents 60th anniversary. Fun!! I love what your mom said. My mother also said divorce was not an option and also said she was glad Dad was never hit her. She said she would have killed him if had. When me and my brother were little she never hit us. She said that she wouldn't be able to stop if she ever got started. She was really a nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. My mom was a real spit fire. She was the first female bus driver in the county where we lived. I am now 75 and was only about 18 months when mom took the job in 1948.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings