privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Software Updates

For the past several years we have used iolo software for computer security.  In early June Hubby renewed the subscription making a decision to upgrade to a higher level that includes additional features.  The software covered all our computers, laptops, and tablets.  With coupons and cashback, the upgrade was a no-brainer.  

I had not really given the upgrade any attention for this laptop.  Seems the last month my brain has been very preoccupied with more important issues.  In addition yesterday I noticed two additional charges from iolo.com on two different cards.  I knew the information would need to be gathered in order to resolve the issues.  Today the old grey matter noticed that my laptop was not being monitored.  Oops.  That notice reminded me to gather the data.  Once gathered I went to the customer support window, but no chat window.  I typed all the info into a separate customer service window with no result.  Ugh.

Hubby says he has a chat window.  I copied my text and emailed him the info.  He copied it to the text window.  The tech returned the funds and we were smiling.  Now I attempted to download the upgrade because I needed security software.  Simple enough.  Just go to iolo.com, sign in to Hubby's account, note the invoice number, and download.  Just as we have since we first purchased iolo software.

Nope.  First of all, there was no place to sign in to an account.  I attempt different approaches only to reach the same place every time, the purchase page.  Ugh.  Hubby sent me the original email thinking there was a link that would allow the download.  Nope, UGh.  Since Hubby had already been on the chat line that I could not bring up, he started another chat.  This was not simple.  The tech sent me an email.  The email had me download software so the tech could 'see' my computer.  UGH.  The software was downloaded remotely by the tech.  Works fine.

That process obviously employs another person.  From this customer's point of view, what a cluster.  We spent far too much time doing an upgrade that had previously taken less than 5 minutes.  Double Ugh.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  Meanwhile, the software is checking my computer for any suspicious files.  In spite of today's hiccup, we still like iolo software protection.

Take care out there.  May want to put that mask back on and sanitize those hands again.  Infections are up.  For those of us in the US, stay in the shade and hydrate.  Our temperature is 102 ℉, 38.8℃.  Beyond UGH!

Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Never stopped with the 'hands face space' protocols. Just makes sense - for any number of hygiene reasons.

    On the PC (Voovoo the Vaio) I used combo of Windows Defender and Malwarybytes (free) with very good results. Here on the Chromebook, Google takes care of all that by default. No extras required. I also do manual checks for any files I believe to be 'odd' and sort them myself. Don't know when last I had a bum file like that... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we did use Malwarebytes. Not sure why we changed. Sometime I have to remind Hubby to not open scam emails. Today city is showing 107℉ 41.6℃

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings