privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Nicknames

Mom and Joe, aka Rathole, Covington
 Do you have a nickname?  There was a family in the rural community where I grew into my teen years that had nicknames for most of the family.  The Covingtons had Doodle and Tootsie, two I recall at this time.  Oh, Cub was another of the brothers as well as Rathole.  Jet was the mom's nickname.  Doodle gave my Sis #1 her nickname, Racehorse, cause she could outrun everyone else.  She was thin and had long legs.  

During one of the last two sister times in McKinney, we sisters were discussing one of the Covington family's granddaughters.   Suddenly, Sis #1 asked, "Did Doodle die?"  I could not help myself.  I started giggling and rapidly repeating the question.  Then all of us four began laughing.  It was the kind of laughter that allows some of the stress to flow away on the gales of laughter.  Sis #1 grabbed her phone and within a minute had the answer.  Doodle indeed had passed away just a few days before our gathering.  The answer came, "Doodle did did".  

Strange how some words or phrases will stick with us through the decades of life.  Words we utter as children become catchphrases within a family.  Our son said rainbrella instead of umbrella;  bagoose rather than caboose.  He called Sis #1 MakMak instead of Margaret and Sisue instead of Suzie.  Nandad for Grandad and the list goes on.  So Sis #1 is called MakMak by many in the family.  Others called her Maggie.  Suzie is actually a nickname for Sue.  Machew Pow is actually Matthew Powell.


In my 'I don't care' stage

Needing to be a  girl stage

Daddy gave me the nickname Sam.  It has not one thing to do with my name, more my attitude, I guess.  He even had a rhyme to go with the name.  She's Sam cause she doesn't give a damn.   Once I hit puberty I informed the world I did care and I wanted to use my girl name, Janice.  For a the most part, folks complied with my demand request.  But there is still one guy, Joe Covington that still calls me Sam.  Yes, he is Rathole.

Just for the record, I have entered/returned to the I just don't give a care stage.  You can call me Sam, Jan, Wench, whatever.  Just do not forget to call me for supper.

Take care and love,
Sam


2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I like Janice just fine! I don't recall ever having a nickname, even at school... until recent times, when using my initials to sign off, as I do, it started to develop in the character known as the YAMster (who lives in The Hutch) !!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was called Pete which had nothing to do with his name. He was so strong that even in his early 80s he could push a refrigerator from the wall while lying in his back using only one hand. His strength was so well known that his cousins' prodigies still refer to him as Powerful instead of his given name. namaste, janice xx

      I've only know you as the YAMster!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings