privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Built in 1946

In December 1946 my Mom and Dad had several changes.  The most important to me was that I was born.  Teehee.  The second thing was they moved from my Dad's home area in southeast Collin County to my Mom's home area in northwest Collin County.  That move brought us to Chambersville and this house.

In this photo I was probably 2 -3 years old.  This is the house where the snake was draped across the headboard of the bed.  It is where Daddy laid down laughing and rolled in chicken poo.  There was a cellar door where Reba Jane and I would try to slide down and not get splinters!  Lots of great memories flash as bits and pieces in my mind.  Sister #1 and Sister #2 were 7 to 15 years old when we lived at 'The Neely Place" so they had more memories.

One other thing happened in that December 1946, Christmas.  Best we can remember, that was the year Sister #1's Santa gift was a brand new bike.  Now that was more like the family bike as neither Sister #2 nor I ever received a bike.  I did get a tricycle when I was 3 or 4.  But still only one bicycle.  Sis #2 took it over when Sis #1 thought she was too old for it.  Sis #2 outgrew it so I was next in line.  By the time Sister #4 was ready for a bike, that 1946 model was worn out so she received a new bike.

Sister #2 and our Mom

When our Mom turned 80 in 1998 we all swooped in and did a clean out of things that we girls should have taken years before.  One of the items was the family bike.  Sis #2's hubby took the now rusting 52 years old bike to his shop.  He was an instructor at a Vocational Trade School.  He guided his students and had the old girl bike looking like new.  Sister #1 rode it the first time she went to visit Sis #2 in Oklahoma.  And Sis #1 took the bike back to her home.

Sis #1 passed away on July 7, 2022 after surviving for about 15 months longer that her doctors told her she would without chemo.  Chemo was started in February of 2021.  By March of 2022 the chemo could no longer stave off the spread of the cancer to other vital organs.  With her passing it was determined by her two remaining adult children the bike should come to Sister #2.  The bike arrived just before Thanksgiving via the Niece #1 and her hubby along with other treasures from Sis #1.

In order to have a Sister Time it was decided we three remaining sisters would trek to Cache to Sister #2's home just before the Rogers' Family Christmas on Dec. 17.  Hubby and I had to leave before the gathering as Grandson #3 was in an all state private school honor playoff on the 17th.  On the day we left we captured a couple of images of a Christmas past.  I attempted to ride the bike but the tires were flat and the adductor issue was a challenge.  Here are a couple of photos for your enjoyment or garden as needed.

Your's truly, Sister #2, Sister #4 aka Baby Sis


 And here are a couple of videos for a chuckle or two.  Sister #4 said she never could ride the 1946 bike.  Flat tires and rusty peddles made it such that 76 years old m need to help 68 years old Baby Sis learn to ride the 76 years old Family Bike.

Stay safe!

Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    That is a very pretty bike... and oh the thrill of riding it again - or learning a new trick! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried to post the video of my attempt but it would not upload. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings