privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, April 17, 2020

April 17, 2020

Friday which feels like every other day this week.  It is not the same as the sky is overcast with rain predicted to fall in the afternoon.  As I am writing this paragraph a shower is falling.  The wind is picking up causing the shower to come down at more of an angle.  Hubby is listening to his amateur radio buddies saying how hard it is raining at their homes.  Hubby meets part of his socialization needs with the radio contacts.

MASKS – STATEJust this week our county has asked that masks be worn outside our homes till further notice.  Masks are not to be reused until washed.  The two masks our son had brought worked on my face but were too small for Hubby.  For that reason I realized we needed more masks.  Research showed the best homemade masks were made from denim.  As luck would have it Hubby had a pair of jeans that had ripped in a way that could not be repaired.  I was able to cut up the pants in a way to get 11 one sided denim masks.  The in house fabric supply included 100% cotton t-shirt material.  The t-shirt material was used as the liner. 


Hubby had a doctor appointment this morning.  Before I even had a cuppa I made him a new face mask.  Used stretch head bands cut in half and attached at the top and bottom edges.  That configuration had him a snug fit without flipping his ears out like Ross Perot. Of course, I, also, sewed pipe cleaners along the nose bridge area to tighten that area closed.  BTW the pattern I used was a size large. I had added 6 mm (.25") along the top and bottom edges and 13 mm (.5") to the back edges.  Hubby put it on and declared it a perfect fit.  And really comfortable for what a face mask.

After a bit of coffee, folding a load of clothing and getting dressed I decided to clean a bit on the patio.  Hummingbird feeder cleaned and filled with sugar water.  Bird bath scrubbed, some mulch added to the planter and just a bit of straightening, cleaning and tossing of junk/trash.  Sink, cabinets and hands sanitized one ore time.  And I was ready to just check on my blogger buds.

Oh, but wait.  The birdies started showing up for the food.  Here are a few captures through the patio glass of two or three of the visitors.  Andy antenna seems to serve as a perch for the visitors awaiting their turn.  I notice the birds are not practicing social distancing.


Passer sparrow

Peek a boo with a house finch

That green stem was a volunteer potato plant.  Something has eaten all the leaves.


Hubby's doctor appointment is now awaiting a decision to see if he can have a MRI.  Seems the venacava Greenfield filter may be a problem.  NCIB says there is low risk of migration.  Dr. Valestro is the ortho doctor that replaced my knee, repaired Hubby's leg after falling off his bike and cared for bonus grandson's torn acl.  Hubby is being checked to assure the rotator cuff is not torn before giving a shot to treat the excessive inflammation.  If torn, then surgery.  Ugh.

The rain has temporarily stopped, the dove is cooing, sparrows and house finches are back at the feeder.  A bluejay is trying to be a bully.  For the most part life seems just like a normal spring day. 

Take care, be safe and visit later!

Janice

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I found an old tunic top (very old and two sizes below current requirement!) which I realised would make good face masks... now for the impetus to actually cut and sew. Strange new world... and nature runs its usual clockwork. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is different than decades ago. The polio epidemic was what I experienced as a child. No masks required but no swimming holes that summer! Too dangerous.

      Delete
  2. They are still very much on the fence as to the wearing of face masks in the Netherlands. Even if other countries are now heavily recommending it. It doesn't seem to have enough benefits as people do not use them properly and then you have more trouble than what it is supposed to solve.

    I was watching our hedge the other day and it moved. The wind was blowing, but this was different from that. Turned out some sparrows were hopping in and through the hedge. It was funny to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those birdies are looking for lovers and places to build a home for the results of meeting that special one. I figure if we wear it properly that is all that matters. I cannot control anyone but me.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Janice! My sister has been making a lot of masks, and kindly sent me two! I am going to the store for groceries pretty soon, and will wear it, but my husband will not wear his. He is on the fence about how much good it actually does. He only goes to work a couple days a week and stays home, though. I'm the shopper. Our suburb hasn't mandated mask wearing yet, but some suburbs around us have. Such a strange time of life right now...one I never imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is a very different time. There is a real push by politicians and some folks to get the stores opened back up for business. I have done most of my shopping on line for several years. With friends and family scattered around the US, just having items sent directly means only one shipping fee. Or none at all in some cases. Yes, there are so many rules about how to properly wear and use the masks. The interesting thing is with the stay home stay safe/ shelter in place traffic accidents are greatly reduced. Auto insurance companies are giving rebates on premiums. Yes, it is a bit weird. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Us little birds will always show up for food! I like your mask pattern I will send on to my Mum in the UK who is making masks now. The Uk have been v slow to suggest wearing masks, we dont go anywhere without one on in Thailand!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings