privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

April 8, 2020

Remember how I told you my HEB order was for 4/7?  Well, it was not.  It was for 4/4.  Thank goodness and the internet for text messages.  By the time I unpacked the groceries and sanitized I was ready to just sit a bit.  There were four items in the list that were not available.  I posted a list of 10 items on line six that were not even on my list and the four missing items.  Only one person out of about 25 had the correct answer.  The four items were soy and Worcestershire sauces, diet cherry 7-up and maple syrup.


By Monday I found more items that were at the edge  of our supply.  Under normal conditions none of the items would be an issue.  Apparently with folks doing so much cooking at home baking powder is in high demand.  As I attempt to anticipate items that are in short supply I keep a list going on two separate grocery stores'sites.  I check for available pickup times and grab one within the time range I will be needing the items.  In today's Walmart pickup missing items included milk, fresh meats, some prepared frozen meals and the Easter candies for my grandkids!  Sam's was out of the frozen raw cod filets, cherry tomatoes and the Easter candies for my grandkids.

HEB Alters Texas Store Hours Amid Coronavirus Shopping | Austin ...
Fine, just fine.  I will wear my mask and walk into Walgreen's for the candy.  Fewer people, all safe distancing and plenty of candy.  Home again with all the treasures, disinfect food packages and myself.  Candy sorting into the Easter gift bags completed.  Now for a cup of coffee and a bit of a sit.

There is one more confession I must make.  My mind is muddled these days.  Dates and time are alluding me or at least getting mixed up.  The aforementioned HEB error being off 3 days.  What on earth.  Yesterday I arrived at Sam's for my 4/7 pickup only to be told I was a day early.  While for some time I have done the walk into a room and forget why I went in the room it is much worse.  I turned on the wrong burner on the stove and damaged my nice newer jelly roll size pan.  Then tonight I did not check the oven before setting its temperature for a dish.  I heard a light popping sound.  Could not detect what or where it was.  When I opened the oven I saw my favorite small size metal spatula with goo seeping out of the metal handle.  The handle was no longer attached.  Bad words!   Maybe it is all the interruptions of phone messages or attempting to stay on top of acquiring some essential items.  Of course it could just be living in the middle of a pandemic.  Or the fact that I am  73.

Speaking of age one other thing, today is my childhood forever friend's 73 birthday.  Reba Jane and I share the same great grandmother.  Reba and I visited for as long as my voice would let us.  Images of the creek near my house and her backyard flooded my brain.  We both spoke fondly of how we grew up with not a lot.  A new pair of shoes in the fall for school.  We wore that pair until they wore out or we completely outgrew then.  New shoes for Easter, of course.  She mentioned we would get new white Keds in the spring.  Certainly not like the 6 different pairs of just sneakers kids and us now own.

On to current events as we share just about all the same beliefs, liberal Democrats.  Both grew up in the same church with similar values.  While I choose to not watch the news as I allow it to upset me, Reba dives into the news.  She said she wants to see just what sort of nutty stuff will be said next.  We could talk openly about this with each other, not like with many friends.  Lots of conservative folks in Texas.  It was good just to hear that voice and the joy when I wished her happy birthday.

Customers entering Walmart store with 1 way isle
Oh, that Sam's order that went a day early to pickup, well Hubby did that duty.  Yes, I had 6 items.  Only received 2, cinnamon rolls and Dove dark chocolate candy.  Not exactly essentials.  For those on the other side of the pond inside stores the norm has changed.  Before if you had an online order for pickup, one simply walked up to the  pickup area in the store.  In this social distancing time the area is blocked off from the remainder of the store.   A maze has been erected to maintain the 6 ft distance between people.  Aisles have tape laid every 6 ft. to assist with the distancing.  When exiting the store one must present a receipt that can be scanned.  That receipt for a pickup order is new.  And there is a police presence at the checkout counters.  Not a store cop, a city police person.


Round Rock police, city announces operational changes due to COVID-19Did the police presence become necessary because of shortages?  Who knows.  But Hubby did discover a few new things today as he picked up two items.  One, the woman that would just wave the pickup orders through is gone, long gone.  Now there is a person that has been trained that everyone must present a receipt to be scanned.  Hubby had no receipt.  He did have a printout given to him by the pickup person.  That printout had the missing items. Thinking that might work he presented it to the scanner lady.  She told him that was their paperwork, not a valid form of a receipt and took it from him.  Now the voices are getting a touch louder.  The police presence becomes more of a presence.  A manager arrives.  Finally  Hubby is allowed to take the two items to his vehicle. 

By the time Hubby arrived home he was not a happy camper.  Bet we now have a receipt with us for every purchase made on line from Sam's.  Cause we really do not want to bail either of us out of jail at this point in time.  I can live without cinnamon rolls from Sam's.


Think we've had enough adventure for the day.  I'll say bye for now.  Ya'll all say safe.

Peace,
Janice

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    there was talk of putting police on patrol at some of our supermarkets too - not sure it happened though, as it does seem that our supermarkets have managed things themselves very well indeed (all credit to them - even tho there are still plenty of disgruntled folk who just can't get it into their heads that it isn't necessary to hoard. I am just grateful that our online order priority is working well and - apart from a couple of things not coming and some being on use-by dates already - we are not at all feeling lacking.

    Life friends with whom we can be entirely free are like diamonds. Hugs from here. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the grocery stores as well as the supply line workers that keep them filled. Now things are a bit better. Fewer wait days, ability to add on more items as one discovers things and more folks wearing masks.

      Long time friends are a treasure. I heard the delight and excitement in Reba's voice when she heard mine. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  2. Goodness me! After the first week of idiocy at the supermarkets, everything sort of returned to normal here. Yes, we have to have a cart, even if you only want one item. No, we are not allowed to go in with others: only one of the family. But everything is in full supply again, even toilet paper (which I never understood anyway). Yes, we can only pay by card now, no cash accepted in many stores. No, things are not normal and it may take a while to get back to whatever normal is, but there are definitely no shortages and no police!

    Unless of course they have changed everything and by the time I arrive at the shop today, it has all changed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mara, this is Texas where every one that wants one or two or twelve guns can have them. And walk into lots of stores with them openly exposed. I am shaking my head in dismay at that situation.

      Dr. Fauci, the main guy in the Covid-19 fight, says to expect a new normal in the future. No more hand shakes is his recommendation. Maybe the Vulcan live long and prosper hand sign will replace the handshake.

      Take care and be safe!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings