privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Monday, March 21, 2022

Boards

Strange how the mind works.  The nose catches a smell.  The mind will bring a vision of a flower or a portion of certain food.  Touch a piece of fabric and possibly a favorite blanket or dress will be recalled.  Today the eye saw the set of an old western.  The boards used for creating storefronts and sidewalks brought a vision from years ago.  Trab Burton's country store.  (As I typed the name Trab I had to wonder where on earth that name came from or if a nickname.  I'll never know as all have passed that would know.)

I do not have a picture of Trab's store except in my mind.  There were always a few of the elderly farmers sitting or standing around.  Verter Reeves was one of the most frequent visitors.  Probably because he lived directly across the road from the store.  There was not a huge selection but enough to keep from having to drive the long (10 miles) into the nearest big town.  Or drive to one of the stores in Weston, 5 miles away.  Three-fourths a mile to Trab's was just a bike ride away for me.  It was on the way to Reba Janes.  It was located on the corner next to the country school.

The photo to the left is similar to Trab's minus the big sign.  The porch was made of wooden boards as was the entire building.  The boards were worn smooth from years of use.  I think there was a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.  A small lean-to room was at the back.  That is where Mrs. Emma, Trab's wife, would spend her time if not needed upfront.  A glass-enclosed candy rack was next to the register.  Perfect for tempting me and kids like me.

There was a gas pump in front of the store.  A real gas pump with a handle that required the user to pump the underground gas into the overhead tank.  When you entered the store a freezer sat full of wonderful ice cream treats.  A large industrial refrigerator sat at the back of the main room.  The fridge was filled with silly stuff like milk.   But more important were the chilled Coke, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola (best with peanuts dropped inside), chocolate soda, Grapette, and other varieties I do not recall.  Five empty soda pop bottles would buy one of the delicious, ice-cold drinks.  My family called the carbonated beverages Cold Drinks.  "Wanna a coke?" was a generic term that was followed by a second question.  "What kind?"

Trab's was never quite as fancy as the photo to the right.  There was a round ice chest at the back of the store.  It could be rotated in place.  Different sections had different items.  Cheese, lunch meats, blocks of ice, and other things I never saw or cared about.  Trab or Mrs. Emma would slice off the requested items, weigh, and wrap the requested items.  Bologna was a favorite for my family.  Sometimes Mom would shop the shelves along the right wall for canned goods, sugar, or flour.  Maybe we just needed a box of crackers of a loaf of Mrs. Baird's or Finney's bread.  

A tin of potted meat could be used by my smart Mom to make lunch for my sisters and me.  Vienna sausages and canned oysters might be purchased for a special treat.  Life was simple in my childhood.  We were poor but did not realize it.  Our home was frequently filled with friends, family, and laughter.  What wonderful memories.  That's what I got for just watching Gunsmoke and seeing those boardwalks.

Take care,

Janice


2 comments:

  1. Hari om
    ...and along came the big ones like Woolworths and all the independents faded away... Actually, my wee corner shop a street back from the Hutch still has all the old shelving and the olde worlde feel to it. A rare find. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the biggest changes for the old country stores were people leaving the farming communities. My parents took jobs in town as many of the farming families that did not own their land did. No longer a need for the country stores. Now that area is becoming repopulated in the form of housing divisions. There may be a corner store at that cross roads again. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings