privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

It Is a Stretchy Kind of Day

Tuesday is for stretching.  C is the person that does the stretching.  She said E did fine yesterday as she was by herself for several hours.  An insurance company has denied coverage for E.  C cannot seem to get a break with all the paperwork.  How could a health care company deny a person of coverage?  I suppose it is a matter of the bottom line.

The last several days have found me watching TV too much.  Mostly old TV westerns from the 1950s.  Talk about misogynistic!  Even Perry Mason has a good share of that attitude.  It is no wonder folks my age have the attitude so engrained in them.  Basically, the shows were reflecting the attitude at the time.  The women use feminine 'wiles' on the men to get what they cannot get otherwise.  Women have to depend on a man to save them from all sorts of bad situations.

Miss Kitty has to be saved by Matt Dillon.  Amanda Blake said she quit the series as she was tired of the kidnappings and beatings.  Little Joe sees each young woman as someone to romance.  Yet Little Joe marries only to see the wife die soon after.  I will say that Miss Kitty was a successful businesswoman.  Marshall Dillon would arrest wife beaters.  

Spelling is not one of my strong points.  I had to look up the spelling for the word misogynist.  On the page was a question about the difference between misogynists and chauvinists.  As defined by Webster: misogynist is feeling, showing, or characterized by a hatred of or prejudice against women; chauvinism is an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex.  The second and third definitions for chauvinism surprised me, undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged; excessive or blind patriotism.  There is a difference between the two words.  

The above cartoon was Steve Kelly's response to being told his cartoons were misogynistic.

Guess other folks, probably the media, have realized the difference between the two words.  That knowledge may be why there is a change in the usage of the words misogynist and chauvinist.  Here is an interactive graph on chauvinist usage.  Here is the graph for the word misogynist.  The late 1970s and early 1980s are when the graphs begin swapping positions on the graph.  Please, note that women can be chauvinistic as the word is not gender-specific.   

Robbie cleaned the floors.  I failed to get a screenshot of Robbie's movements before I rebooted my phone.  Yesterday he/they failed to run due to an error in charging.  Dirt on either set of contacts will cause that.  

The lost credit card repacements arrived today.  Spent time activating them.  Now to get the 20 to 25 auto draws filled in with the new numbers.   ugh.  Oh, I need to get the new wallet/billfold ordered.  There are two words to look into tomorrow.  I told C Hubby lost his billfold.  She had no idea what a billfold was.  I described it and she said, "a wallet".  Wonder what year the usage line crossed on those two words?

Stay safe,

Janice


2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...spooky, I had cause to use the word 'chauvinitic' in a post I was preparing today! I tossed between that and misogynistic, but the first was more appropriate. It might have been that the author of the book I was mentioning was attempting to display attitudes of the time period in which it was set... but something about came across as more likely to be an expression of himself!

    I know exactly what you mean about those old shows; they haven't aged well when it comes to various sensitivities that now prevail. I wonder how those produced now will be perceived in another 40 or 50 years?!

    Billfold is an almost entirely North American usage for a wallet, I think, although there are manufacturers of 'billfold's in the UK and it seems they are smaller, slimmer and without any form of closure (literally a fold) and designed only for cards and paper/vinyl money. Wallets have a coin and secondary filing plus a catch/latch of some description. So a billfold is a type of wallet, but here in the UK at least, wallet is applied for almost all such equipment. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was timely with the misogynistic and chauvinistic. I do see the wallet as a money holder that has a coin purse attached. And there is another term, coin purse. Ha. As a matter fact, I have my Granny Chandler's coin purse. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings