privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, May 16, 2020

May 16, 2020

Zoom, zoom, zoom.  The days pass and it has been a week since I have checked into the web.  Part of the reason has been activities.  On Thursday, May 7, about 11:33 AM a text came to my phone.  Seniors being recognized with a parade by the elementary school they attended, Fern Bluff Elementary.  My #1 grandson is a senior without any of the parties or ceremonies normally associated with the completion of the 12th grade.  Of course Grandpa and I would be there!  The parade was to start at 7:00 PM that same day. The text suggested signs be made honoring your senior.  OMG.

A banner would be easy enough.  A quick check of supplies showed no useful fabric.  That had been used for Youngest's 14th birthday earlier in the week.  Think.  Butcher paper and printed page size letters.  Grabbed butcher paper, only about a meter.  Too small.  Hubby/Grandpa to the rescue.  He has a brand new roll of tan colored butcher paper.  The page size letters created in Word, printed and cut out with Hubby's help.  Clear box tape to attach the letters and within about 3 hours the banner was completed.

Of course there was a stiff breeze so Grandpa suggested using string to stabilize the paper.  He said he would dig through his stuff is a bit to find something.  I said, give me a few minutes.  I walked into the bath storage closet, pulled out one box.  There I found cotton cording left over from a 1970 home shade product.  Yes, I rat hole stuff.  I reached into another container and there was clothes line material.  Grandpa would not have to leave his easy chair to search for stuff.  He would have to do the taping of the cord onto the back as leaning over causes me problems.  Done and done.

We sent a photo of the banner to Son asking where he would be for the parade.  He mentioned the time, 6:00, and I was wrong, as usual.  My brain is messing up about times all the time these days.  Any way we grabbed the bag filled with masks, cameras, yard sticks, tape and the banner then headed out to Fern Bluff MUD community center.  BTW, MUD stands for municipal utility district.


After touchless greetings with Son and DIL, DJ greeted us with licks, jumps and hugs.  After Son took care of my DJ injury from a toenail, a mark of love, I retrieved the bag and banner.  And we waited.  Then we heard the horns and even firecrackers announcing the parade coming down the street.  Vehicle after vehicle passed with seniors.  Many Son knew from soccer coaching, swim teams, lacrosse, scouting and dad day at the elementary school.  There was a wistfulness in his voice as he yelled and waved to those he knew.  Each time recounting to me from which activity he had known them.  Three of us held the banner for all to see as they drove by our spot.  DIL had two signs she held. 


There came #1 Grandson sitting in the back of his new truck.  Like a king on a throne.  He had Winston, his favorite dog at his mom's house.  What did he say when he saw us five?  "Oh, look, DJ is here!".  Ha.  He knew without a doubt the other four would be there.  In all the waving and business I never got a photo of #1's truck which was all decorated for the parade.  His mom, two brothers and step dad were in the cab of the truck.  His mom smiled ear to ear when she saw the signs we had made.  

This parade, one of so many, as well as the Youngest's birthday parade that same week is why we left our home area of 38 years.  To be there for them.  We left tons of friends, the home area where Son became a man.  We downsized giving up many of the things we worked for decades to accumulate.  Items we had owned since before Son was born in 1973 were sold or donated.  Do I regret it?  Not for even a second.  Because I saw the smile on #1's face and heard him say, "Oh, look, DJ is here!"

Peace, love and health,
Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    The things that touch the heart are with us always and rarely are they material... another heartwarming post my friend! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many landmarks at this time of year and this particular year. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings