privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, May 17, 2020

May 9, 2020

Lower right is a two person rock.
Holding down the umbrella.
You know how there is one project that just continues to need tweaking?  Yeah, we all have at least one in our lives.  One of mine/ours is the box of rocks.  We all know by now I pick up rocks from different places I visit.  Hubby's parents picked up rocks on their camping trip from Missouri to Alaska and back home.  Those rocks were given to our son.  Most all rocks have been fist size and smaller.  There are a few that require a couple of folks to lift.  Yes, seriously.  I moved these from Missouri 6+ years ago.  I left several tons in the old back yard.

Surrounding the cloth edges of the planter.
Son and Youngest Nephew had to graciously carried all those rocks from the moving van to the patio.  Thank goodness it was not too far.  I mean, who moves this many rocks anyway.


In 2010 a very close friend hosted a rehearsal dinner.  Here is a photo of the centerpiece that inspired my box of rocks.  That is how I could manage all the little rocks that we had collected since the early days of marriage.  I think it was later that year that Hubby built me a similar box just a larger size.  Derned if I can find a photo of the original box.   I used it with flowers in a vase as the centerpiece for a table I decorated for a large banquet.  Afterwards the box sat on my coffee table at home.

When we relocated to the smaller apartment in 2013 the box of rocks was put aside for a while.  Eventually we purchased Plexiglas and placed it over the top of the box.  It then took up residence on our patio.  Last year we discovered the wood was beginning to rot.  Hubby to the rescue again.  He really is handy to have around.  A visit to either Home Depot or Lowe's, either within 3/4 mile of us, resulted in a box of polywood.  That product is made from wood shaving and recycled plastic.  It does not rot.  Rocks arranged, sealant tape applied to box and Plexiglas and we were good to go back on the patio.

During my recent patio spring clean I noticed water.  Water inside the box of rocks.  Ugh.  The sealant tape was no longer sealing.  Plexiglas removed.  Box of rocks turned over and left to dry out for a few days.  Hubby suggested thicker Plexiglas.  I check the price for size we would need.  > $100.  It is a bunch of rocks.  They can get wet for that price.  Let's just use what we have with some silicone caulking for the sealant.  While you are at it, attach that set of legs you, Hubby, found at the trash shoot one day.  You would not believe the stuff folks throw away.  And we are maybe 1/2 mile from a Salvation Army collection center, but I digress.

I piddled arranging and gluing the rocks in place.  Adding a plastic butterfly Mom painted, two metal dragonflies, reindeer moss, sand from the Gulf of Mexico Coast and shells from the Atlantic seaboard.  Last was the small piece of driftwood from the Oregon coast from our 1971 trip.  There were rocks from that 1971 trip and two from the 2018 Oregon trip glued to the driftwood.




Sealant spread on the edges.  Plexiglas installed and weights along the edges to hold in place until the sealant dried.  Another ribbon of sealant along the vertical edge and this was the result.  At home on the patio.  We have had about 3 storms since placing it on the patio.  No leaks so far!  Score another good job for Hubby.

Son stopped by to leave DJ for a visit a few days before the project was finished.  He started remembering places where some of the rocks were picked up on family vacations.  That made the effort even more worth while. 

Guess this is one of the advantages of a lock down.  Time to work on that one or maybe two projects that just will not go away, time and again.

If you are ever near the corner of I 35 and State 45 in Round Rock, TX, stop in for a cuppa.  We'll talk rocks.  As an aside, it is sort of ironic I live in a town named "Round Rock" in honor of a single rock.  A rock marking a safe place to cross the creek.



Well, thanks so much for stopping by for a brief visit.  Your visit means a lot.  Now, ya'll all stay safe and healthy.  We're doing our best to stay healthy.  Peace and love.

Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh, I do so love your 'rock garden'!!! Wet rocks often show up their truer colours, but I can understand the need to cover them, given the type of display you have here. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun putting together a bit more permanently this time. namaste, janice

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings