privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Saturday, May 23, 2020

May 21, 2020

That look on the left is me.  Maybe 6 hours after surgery.  Made it fine.  Don't know why I ever doubted.  Probably because I am human. 

Dr. Wade requested a x-ray swallow test the same day following the surgery.  That would be a check to make certain everything would go down correctly.   In addition he wanted me to stay overnight to see how food would settle in my tummy.  I was not being allowed to have anything to drink until the test was completed.  Finally about 6 PM the nurse came to say the test would not happen till the next morning. 

While I was on an IV which was keeping me hydrated, my mouth felt as if it were full of cotton balls.  After checking with Dr. Wade, I was allowed limited quantities of ice chips.  At that point ice chips were as welcome as a steak!  Which I cannot have for probably 2 months!

On Thursday morning I was the first one up for the x-ray.  The tech and doctor apologized multiple times that I had to wait.  No biggie, I was not going anywhere anyway.  Test completed and told all was great.  Yeah, I had passed another test.  One step closed to being back home.  Back to my room and I was allowed to order food.  Something warm sounded so good.  Cream of wheat it was with a cup of coffee.

Three things I learned quickly. 

  1. Small bites, like 1/2 teaspoon goes down the easiest.  
  2. Burping is just part of the process for a few weeks.  
  3. Stomach is smaller than before surgery.  
Hubby had come up around 8 AM.  He brought a charger for my phone.  He was not allowed to enter the hospital.  He took the charger to the emergency room and it made it up to my room eventually.  Hubby returned home to await my call that I was released.  That would probably be between 2 - 3 PM.


Once the meal was complete and orders for release were received I wasted no time.  I pulled the sack out of the closet and changed into my PJs that I had worn to the hospital.  Ouch.  The waist bands were directly on top of 4 of the 5 incisions used for the surgery.  Adjusted up a bit and I was ready to go. I sat down and was asleep in a few minutes.  Jessie the nurse awoke me to sign release papers.  Hubby called and with in 20 minutes I was climbing in Icie.

The walk from Icie to the apartment felt like the longest walk I had taken in quite some time.  No time was wasted getting in the recliner and back to sleep.  The first instruction on the recovery list was rest for the first few days.  Not a problem.  No lifting, no bending, no turning or twisting, no leaning over.  Don't even think about anything using tummy muscles for at least a week or two.  Good cause it is very uncomfortable to do that!

There were calls and check ins from friends and family all over the States.  It really feels good to be surrounded by so much care and love.  Just writing about it now brings a warmth throughout my entire being.  Guess that is all for Thursday, May 21.

Peace, love and good health,
Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    There she is!!! I am now realising that your dates are being used as titles and they are all posted today. Retrospective. Welcome home and to - hopefully - growing stronger and fitter for having had this op. Much Love, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surely hope so. Still working to figure out the way for eating/drinking without causing bloating issues in the somewhat smaller stomach. Thanks for the nice comments. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings