privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Friday, January 7, 2022

Good Day!

It is cold outside.   Some clouds.  Temperatures down in the low 20's when I first got up around 7:45 AM.  The calendar says it is time to take down the Christmas decorations.  I prefer to think of the decorations as winter colors.  Besides, I really don't have the energy level to do the taking down today.  And Hubby is about pooped from having to take care of himself and me the last few days.

Today we are watching some good old 1950 to 1980 shows.  Gunsmoke, Matlock, The Waltons, and some of the others from that period.  Sure is a lot of gunplay.  Guess the shows are more like the dime novels of the Old West.  We humans like to romanticize the Old West.  Hubby and I have enjoyed our travels into the areas of the Old West.  Often we would top a hill to see a vast rugged landscape.  We would be traveling on a paved road.  All I could think of was how it would have felt to be crossing that landscape in a covered wagon or on horseback.

Arkansas Ozark Mountains

South Dakota, 2007, March morning following a storm.

Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Alberta Canada, 2008

Teddy Roosevelt National Park, ND, 2008

Split Rock State Park, Wyoming.  The Oregon Trail and Pony Express had a way station here. 2008

Signal Mountain overlooking the Snake River Valley, Grand Teton National Park area.   2008

Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 2015

Lake Huron's Georgian Bay at Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, 2015

Oregon, October 2018

Columbia River, Oregon side

Such a variety of challenges.  Everything from plains with little water to roaring rivers and snow-bound mountain passes.  The pioneers needed to be able to devise other modes of travel when challenges by the waters.  Some waters so wide they appeared to be another ocean.  Courageous folks that would reach a place from which there was no return.  And we whine when we cannot get the closest parking place to Walmart.  

What a wonder it has been today to sit in a comfortable chair with a laptop at the ready.  To relive some of the many adventures Hubby and I have been blessed to enjoy over our 54-year marriage.  Yes, it truly is a good day!

Peace and love,

Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    What a plethora of beauty you have to spark the memory, Janice! I too would often think to how folk traversed this planet before all our modern mean when I have visited such places. We are all travellers, immigrants and refugees somewhere in our history... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. On my Granny Chandler's lineage we can trace to Scotland, Monteith (Mantooth). Supposedly a family castle. Of course, there is a good deal of Irish in the mix. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings