privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

It's a Chili Kind of Day

champagne tomatoes
The local weather has been being fickle since before the holidays.  One day a new high for that day will be set.  Within a day folks will be rushing to cover plants to protect them from the freezing weather.  Hubby has been doing that duty.  He, also, picked the last of the mini tomatoes before the first freeze a couple of weeks ago.  Today has turned into a sunny but slightly cool day.  Even Hubby is in long pants instead of his usual shorts. Perfect weather for a bowl of steaming chili for dinner.

Hubby mentioned a couple of days ago on one of the colder days that chili sounded tasty.  He pulled out a package of frozen ground turkey.  Earlier today I assembled the makings. The chili is simmering on the stove as I type.  I do not usually use a packaged seasoning packet but today I am using that shortcut.  Hope it turns out as tasty as our usual chili recipe.  The usual recipe was passed to us in about 1971 by a fellow church member.  It is named Pedernales Chili and was supposedly the recipe used by former President Lyndon Johnson.  In true Texas fashion, the chili has a bit of a kick to it.  Just like Hubby likes.

Hubby had held back some tasty yeast rolls from a recent Bush's Chicken run for one of the grandsons.  Hubby left the rolls in a box to dry for bread pudding.  As I was already messing in the kitchen I chopped up the dried rolls.  Those bread cubes were placed in a greased baking dish.  Mixed up sugar, eggs, milk, and flavorings to pour over the bread cubes after drizzling with butter.  Any 'bad fat' I saved by using turkey instead of beef in the chili was replaced in this dish.  A sprinkle of sliced almonds across the top and into the oven for 45 minutes at 350℉.


Wish I could have YAM, Mara, and Brom sit down for a bite with us.  Maybe someday.  Until then we can all share looking up at the same moon and dream of a chili supper kind of day together.

Take care, y'all

Janice 


2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Awwww - it would have to be a vegetarian version, but nothing would delight me more than to share food with you! MMMmmmmmm I make my chili with kidney beans - it's called rajma. Oh and eggy-bread pudding? Yummers! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have eaten many a taco salad with only pinto beans as the proteins. My son even said once he did not realize taco salad had meat! namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings