privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Stretch Day

Tuesday is the day of the week Hubby and I attend an assisted stretch class.  I have talked about this class in a previous post.  After a week of being under the weather, it felt pleasant to be out in the fresh air.  Having someone that cares about my health work with me is heartwarming.  Cierra is a kind and caring person.  She gives so very much to her mother.  Since the first of the month, her mom has been staying with a sister in another state.  Erica, the mom, will return home in late January.  Cierra really needed this time for a break from the daily task of caring for a memory-compromised adult.

How would one even begin to attempt to work a full-time job and care for a person full time?  My friend is the strongest, bravest, caring 33-year-old (or any age) person I know.  Having shared that once when she was young and ill she told her mom she would care for her forever.  She is living up to that affirmation.  What a commitment.  What a love.  What a sacrifice.

When my father's mind slipped into the canyons of dementia/Alzheimer's, he spent hours in the bathroom.  He continued to attempt to clean himself going through roll after roll of toilet tissue.  All the paper was clean.  There was nothing in the stool except clean paper.  Now, Erica seems to need the bathroom frequently, too frequently.  With the same results as my Dad.  Only phantom sensations and urges.  Spaces left vacant by a disease that eats away our conscience brain.  Leaving nothing but useless plaque deposits and reduced brain size.

Watching parents, in-laws, aunts, and uncles slowly drift into the confusion of dementia is heart-rending.  That sadness is matched only by the horror and fear of me falling into the same abyss.  Any time I forget a name or become confused by instructions there is a shutter down my spine.  I am just so pleased to be able to help Cierra get relief three mornings a week.  As long as I can remember my way from my place to Cierra's, the sister's home. and back home I'll help.

Stretching.  Stretching our minds.  Stretching our abilities, Stretching our bodies.  Giving ourselves every chance available to stay healthy and helpful as long as possible.

Aunts, Uncles and my FIL, 4 of 7 had advanced dementia.  One leukemia, two heart attacks.

Stay Safe, Y'all,

Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Age is not kind territory - but then, neither is life, generally speaking. Thank heaven for angels on earth... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen for all the angels. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings