privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Sunday, January 23, 2022

In the Notion!

For any of the readers that are not around someone who sews, notions are all the items one needs to sew.  Needles, thread, scissors, snaps, hook and eyes, buttons, trims, and the list goes on and on.  Here is an example I found on Esty.  The site was RicsRelics.

Pretty much some of everything in that photo is in my sewing storage table, basket, assigned boxes.  The hemming guide I have is like the one in the photo.  Mine was purchased in the fall of 1964 so I could take Homemaking III.  I did not take the first or second year.  The teacher had me show what I could do and I was accepted.  

Suit made in 1964

That acceptance was what 4-H and my mom's teaching did for me.  Between what I have purchased for projects or found on sale and stuff from my mom's collection I have stuff not even shown.  Of course, since the 1960's there have been notions created that make sewing projects easier.  Velcro is a must-have item for many of my projects.  Double-sided fusible interfacing, stitch witchery, rotary cutters, self-healing cutting boards, ad infinitum.  

My mother was a true seamstress.  She kept up on all the latest items to make sewing easier.  If a grandchild begged to spend the night and had no PJs, no problem.  Mom would just go to her fabric stash, take a few measurements, cut out the PJs, and stitch in no time at all.  She was known to decide one morning to make something for a grandchild or daughter.  By evening the outfit would be near completion.

Making puppet eyes, 2009
Mostly over the past several years, my sewing has been more craft and home decor items.  In 2009 I made about 15 puppets and backgrounds for the puppet plays.  That puppet set went to Nicaragua for a church that members of our church were helping to rebuild.  The feedback was the children enjoyed the puppet show.  All the items remained there for the teachers to have available. 

The most complicated projects were the enclosures for the two youngest grandsons.  The project started with the lower bunk for Grandson #4.  Then Grandson #5 needed an enclosure, too.  The bottom required making 'additions' to hold bookshelves and a side table.  That took more than sewing skills, namely PVC pipes.  The top had no place to attach.  That required flexible tent poles in fabric channels.  

Today, well, Saturday as it is past midnight, I was working on a couple of blankets.  I had the flannel I had purchased to make PJ bottoms.  Those were to be for all the grandkids, Son, DIL, Ed, Hubby, and I.  Shingles happened.  So bottoms were purchased and flannel was set aside for some other project.  A couple of blankets for donation had become the use for several yards of the flannel.  One side is flannel the other side is a water-resistant fabric.  Blanket batting is sandwiched between the two fabrics.  I have one blanket ready to press and to the topstitching.  The second is ready to begin assembly.

There is one item in the picture of the sewing notions that cannot be purchased.  It cannot be borrowed.  Without it, any sewing person will tell you to not even sit down at the machine.  You will make mistakes, become frustrated, and not accomplish anything.  It is being in the notion to sew.  It takes a certain mind and emotional set to sew successfully.  Some folks, like my mom, are in the notion to sew almost all the time.  Me, not so much so.  Therefore, if I am in the notion, I go for it.  Good things happen.  Hoping I can stay in the notion to get a few of the other projects that were 'set aside'.  Yes, I am still in the notion.

Take care,
Janice

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I hear ya - my mother was also a fine seamstress... and it kinda put me off sewing for life! I apparently was hopeless at putting a button on. I'm not, but there was a standard mum had that pretty much nobody could match! I have done the occasional mend - and pair of curtains - but am most definitely never in the notion to sew! Crochet though, is another matter... (though I have been slack there too!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it is Sunday. Still in the mood but I cannot sew on Sunday. Why? It is and old saying, Every stitch you sew on Sunday must be pull out with your nose on Monday. LOL namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings