privacy notice

'cookieOptions = {my site gathers info, I am told. I do not know how to access the info. You can visit https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites to see what Google does with info. As I do not have advertising on my blog, I am not certain if Google gets much information from my blog.}

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Another Book

 American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins is this month's PEO book club read.  Most of yesterday and today Lydia and her son Luca have been traveling from their home in Alcapulco to the United States.  Their flight is a result of the massacre of her family by the cartel.  It is retaliation against her husband, a reporter, that named the head of the cartel, Javier, in Alcapulco.

Lydia is the reporter's wife.  Luca is their 8, almost 9, years old son.  They escape the slaughter by being hidden in a dark corner of a bathroom shower.  One learns that much information within a few paragraphs of the first chapter.  From that shower, their story of fear and flight begins.  

In the state of Texas "illegal immigrant" is tossed about in political ads daily.  Only our governor is strong enough to protect our border according to one of the ads.  Of course, that same governor has done little to help reunite the 545 children separated from their parents at the same border.  Likewise, the same governor proudly signed the bill to allow payment to people turning in persons aiding in abortions.  Aiding in an abortion includes driving someone to a clinic where one of the services is abortions.

In the book one is taken on the journey with Lydia as she works to keep her son, Luca, alive.  Her struggles highlight the struggles of desperate individuals fleeing for their lives.  Along the way, Lydia is joined or more accurately joins others on the hazardous journey northward.  The trek is made even more dangerous as Javier has a personal vendetta against Lydia.  

The book has kept me enthralled as it took me onto the boxcar tops of La Bestia.  The scenes where Lydia and her son attempt to jump onto or off La Bestia can leave one breathless.  The sign of the machete with blood drops on the skin of fellow travelers sends chills.  Waves of distrust filled this reader as each new character comes into the lives of Lydia and Luca.  

The ending is still unknown as I have not finished the book.  Besides, I would not want to spoil for any fellow readers.  This book is one of Oprah's Book Club picks.  If you have Kindle Unlimited, it is free to read.  I would recommend this dramatic adventure (?) book?  Yes.


Stay safe,

Janice


2 comments:

  1. Hari om
    Ta for the rec...but have promised myself not to download any more books until at least half my current TBR pile is done!!! Project 2022... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a large number to read, myself. namaste, janice xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by this bit of nothing. Would enjoy any comments you might have. Blessings